STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here I go thinkin' too much again.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaz
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Here I go thinkin' too much again..... Reply with quote

I know its been talked about, but just how much "genetic memory" do our fresh water striped bass stocks possess from their saltwater origin???? Obviously there is still the urge to migrate upstream, or to the place they were released into a body of water as frye to go through a pseudo spawn, among other things. I'm thinking along the lines of what their saltwater ancestors considered good grub. We all know they'll adapt to feed on whatever is the primary forage for the system they are in, but I wonder if they see something that they would only see in the salt, if they would recognize it as "food" and eat it? I'm referring to eels. Every year, after fishing in NC and fishing live eels, I've often thought about bringing back a tub full and trying them out here on our stripers. Would it trigger a feeding response to see a eel swimming by them in fresh water, where there are normally none? If I wasn't such a tight-ass, I'd buy some and bring 'em home! Laughing Clams are another one you never hear or see anyone use as freshwater striper bait, but is used in salt water.

Yaz
BandDad
Water Zebra Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: eels... Reply with quote

Yes, freshwater stripers respond to eels.....
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my response to questions like that, Yaz. Consider that they eat all manner of fish, crawdads, swimbaits, flukes, bucktails, spoons, jerkbaits, poppers, and random other lures...I think they'll eat something else alive and kicking that they can fit in their mouth. Having said that, most of the big lakes down here actually do have eel populations. I know the TN river has a small lamprey also (I have seen them swimming along the surface and attached to fish underwater). They will eat eels. You might have them in your systems up there.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tony Hughes
Magic 8-Ball
Magic 8-Ball

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Plenty of American eels in freshwater Reply with quote

Juvenile American eels (Anguilla rostrata) are one of the varieties of freshwater acclimated eels in the United States. They are common in tributaries of the Mississippi River

Following most of the major Mississippi's tributaries, anglers can find them below locks and dams, and in the great lakes where they spawn. Freshwater female Eels swim all the way up the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico as far as Minnesota for reproduction.

When eels are not migrating, it is easy to find them in medium to large size lakes and streams with quiet waters and muddy bottoms. Eels are more active at night, so they need the mud or underwater objects to be hidden during the day. Freshwater American eels live long, and there is reference of captive eels living as long as 88 years.

I have caught and fished with American eels, in Red River below Texoma dam -- you can only catch them at nite over muddy river bottoms with good rocky areas nearby (they hide in rock holes or mud by day and come out at nite to eat) -- a gob of earthworms fished on a #3 treble will catch em at nite -- most of the ones I have caught (in the Red River below Texoma) are 2-3' long and weigh 1/2 to three pounds -- Striper like em -- see there ya keep thinkin out loud and find its trod ground -- Laughing Laughing

My grandad liked fried eels on the table -- seen him cook em many times.

I need to try some freshwater mussels for Striped Bass one of these days they catch em with clam chunks on East coast as well --
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: