STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Striper Fishing on Sinclair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockfishga
Fish On

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Striper Fishing on Sinclair Reply with quote

I recently started fishing on Sinclair. I live in North Fulton and spend all of my free time on Lanier fishing for stripers. I'm looking for any information that would help me get started fishing for stripers on Sinclair, such as tactics: downlines, trolling, freelining, etc.; times of year, best areas of the lake (up river or down river), bait.

My in-laws recently bought a place on the lake near crooked creek marina, so that's most likely my starting place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Looking forward to future posts on this site!
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: One tough NUT: Sinclair Reply with quote

I live on Sinclair and would consider myself to be a decent striper fisherman, but I'll be damned if I know how to catch one out of this lake. Guess I don't spend too much time trying due to the fact that it's unlikely to catch one over 7 or 8 lbs. Crooked creek is a good area to start this time of year. The coolest water on the lake is coming out of Oconee (probably about 85 degrees). I would start by covering LOTS of water with a good depthfinder to see if you may be able to find the fish hanging in the channel somewhere nearby creek mouths, major bends in the river, or other large features like points or irregular bottom. There is plenty of that on your stretch of the lake. I have been all around the lower end of Sinclair using my new electronics and have not seen anything that looks like hybrid or striper in the big section of the lake. We get a few dinks around docklights on threadfins pitched around the docks, but nothing much over 2 or 3 lbs. I don't really know anybody else who even targets the stripes and hybes on Sinclair this time of year. From Fall-Spring is a much better time.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rockfishga
Fish On

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! By reading the posts about people throwing cast nets for gizzard shad, I assumed they were using them for striper bait!

What is the striper fishing like in the fall-spring? What tactics would you recommend during that time of the year?
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stripes and what hybes are left will start congregating pretty good in the middle section of the lake, mostly around Rooty Cr. I always just troll threadfin all over the place until I find them. They move a lot, too. Places with a lot of bait (Rooty) are good places. I have never tried it back in Crooked, but I would imagine the same setup might occur. There has never been much breaking on Sinclair that I've seen. They will head towards the power plant in late November and stay there until March or April. After that, they just seem to freakin disappear except for the Wallace Dam tailrace below Lake Oconee. Once the lake hits 80, usually sometime in May, I lose 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rockfishga
Fish On

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. From the sound of it, I think I'll stick to Lanier for stripers and fish for crappie on sinclair.

I was reading some posts about people cast netting for gizzard shad, I assume that was for catfish??
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizzard shad are probably the #1 most common bait used for big striper by striper fishermen who primarily catch their own bait. They are big, shiny, soft-rayed, and put out a lot of thump in the water when well maintained. You may benefit from my baits page: http://seeinstripes.com/bait.htm
BudMan
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Info...GOOD stuff
BCFR #508
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Report Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: