STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you had a choice Alewives Or Gizzard Shad ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyaf
Fish On

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: If you had a choice Alewives Or Gizzard Shad ? Reply with quote

Claytor lake has an abundance of shad and alewives . Ive seen schools of both of them breaking the water while I was bass fishing. Which would be the better bait to net. And is one easier to keep alive than the other.

Thanks Randy
Yaz
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a choice, I'd have both in my tank. Let the fish determine which one is best.

Yaz
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the alewives would survive with the gizzards in the tank. You'd need two tanks. Sometimes the fish will eat one better than the other. Alewives don't get nearly as big as gizzards, so if you are really going after big fish (30+ lbs), a big gizzard is the way to go.

Here on lake Juliette near home which has bluebacks, the alewive's cousin, the stripes will usually hit the blueback better than a shad, although you will typically only catch small fish on the small baits.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: bait Reply with quote

Very Happy Randy I think Claytor is only stocked with hybrids so I would likely choose the alewife. They will catch more fish although typically smaller of all game fish species. They are both easy enough to keep in good condition to be great bait with a good tank and a little practice. The alewife are difficult to keep alive and healthy in the same tank with gizzards. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Fish On

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are stocked ever year just like trout . Its took some years of growing . Biggest fish checked in at marina this past winter was 32 lbs. hope theres more.They should have turned it loose. the striper club for the lake was having a big fish contest.
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: First time I was ever wrong Reply with quote

Very Happy I just thought it was stocked only with hybrid. In that case with large striper available I would choose large gizzards over alewife except in the cold water of the winter months of Dec. Jan. and Feb. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Fish On

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They stock stripers and hybrids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: