STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Percy Priest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJGUIDE
Movin' on Up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Percy Priest Reply with quote

Does anyone know of where and what to use for february stripers on priest?
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Tnstripercatcher Reply with quote

Donny wayne schleichey is DA MAN on Priest. He might share a detail with you, but I've heard he's pretty expensive! just kidding. Hey Don, got any suggestions?
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BandDad
Water Zebra Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly be interested in hearing Master Don's words of wisdom on catching the water zebras on JPP in Feb as well.

Personally, February has historically been one of the 2 toughest general times of the year for me on JPP. I kinda suspect this year may be atypical though due our very, very mild winter so far. With water temps in the high 40's low 50's already this Feb may fish more like early March than February. All other things being equal though I'd be looking for the bait and fish from Four Corners to the headwaters this time of year. Generally speaking I'd be looking around submerged flats off the river channel, particularly those around channel bends which become even more attractive if there's any wood on them. If the wind has been out of the same general direction for a couple of days that can become a significant factor and rewrite all the rules on where the fish are to be found. Similarly, if the dam has been pulling water heavily for a few days this can position the fish in some predictable places due to the current it creates. This is an odd time of year. Not meaning to intentionally be vague but this time of year the fish can be anywhere from 3 feet to 30 feet of water depending on a number of variables. Depending on water color I'd probably tend to focus more on the upper end of the lake. One very popular area is the general vicinity of where Spring Creek meets the river channel. Lots going on in that area, tends to hold bait and the water in Spring Creek tends to be a little warmer. I have seen winters in the days when dirt was new that Spring Creek was the only area on that end of the lake that didn't ice over. Things that make you go "hmmm". Personally though I just have never had a lot of luck on JPP in cool heavily stained water which we tend to see a lot this time of year. I'm sure there are plenty of others that have though. In general, find the bait, and this time of year the warmer water, and the striped wonders usually won't be far away. I'd tend to focus more on smaller baits this time of year in particular.

Just my $0.02 of rambing.
TnStriperCatcher
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Don't know how much this help but here goes Reply with quote

Jj & Bandad

Since you guys are so close.... I have a really really good hybrid/striper film I shot in 1993 ( I think ) with Jimmy Holt...I can make a copy of it and send it to you just PM me your mailing address...video quality is weak. It was on New Years Eve but techniques/bait/location is exactly the same. We caught 15-20 fish 4-14 lb range 2 or 3 at a time in a half day...it was game on.

February is one of my bestest and favoritest months...last two Feb's (04 &05) were SICK. I don't get that much guide busines in Feb but I do fish it a bunch. If priest is muddy I go to Tim's Ford.....very, very good in Feb too.

No real secrets .....Four Corners, School House Cove, Hong Kong, Bryants Grove, Pool's Knob...all mid lake stuff. The worse the weather the better the fishing. I like the Feb surface water temps to be in the 48-52 range. No jet skis, no house boats.....it is a beautiful thing!

A bucket of med shiners about pinky to bird finger size, put those critters out on planers and redi-rigs with no weight early and cloudy, if sun comes out add some split(s). I usually pull out 12-14 pulls (= 24-28ft). I slow roll in a zigzag fashion on the edges of the river channel with the MK AutoPilot.....where all the standing timber is !!!! I hang lots of leaders in the tops but keep leader material & hooks ( Eagle Claw L42 Wide Gap 1/0 ) handy. I seldom mark any fish on the graph before I fish but I like to see bait balls that are in the 5-20 ft range ( I call them Puff'o bait )and a few working loons is always nice. River bends are good too.

When I approach an area I like to get down wind and put my bow and face right into it and make a good honest pull. I sail out two boards, two flat lines ( balloons or redi-rigs or what ever hits my hands) and 2 down lines at 15-18ft(typically 2 oz egg (unless I need more with a nice long leader).

I like to fish the live bait off the back so I can verticle jig spoons
( Hopkins w/bucktail 1/4-1/2 oz., Texas Twister, Promaster slab spoon, or Vibe blade in white/chartrouse or yellow ) I also like to cast Sony Flies or small bucktails.....I catch alot of fish with the bucktail just pulling along in the rod holder. I fish my artificials on spinning tackle Shimano Stradic or Penn SS series and 10 lb mono on med 7 ft sticks. I will occationally put a Front Runner in the place of the barrell swivel and fish an artificial and a live bait at the same time.....good for getting a double when a fish takes the live bait his buddies see the artificial in front of it and there you go ! Losing them in the trees is expensive.

The only thing that will pull me away from the channel is working birds.

I use mono ( Berkley Big Game ) 12-15 lb main line and 10-12 leader (I like P-line flouro in the blue box/not coated)on Priest.

I like 7 1/2 - 8 ft AllPro Striper Series bait rods .....ABU Garcia 6500C4 reels

I totally agree with Bandad on the stained water thing...I don't like it either.

I have never seen a Feb that some fish weren't in or near Bryants Grove......usually fat hybrids stay there until first week of March. but the water there is nasty-nast right now.

I think there are always fish in the forks in the winter but I don't go there that much...if I was going tomorrow that is where I would start right now because of the dingy water in main lake and b/c of heavy generation schedule. I would fish with gizzard shad up there.

Hope this helps.... Find the puff'o bait and the birds and put 'em out!

I am still learning and getting better...I think is why I am still interested in it....always picking up new ideas from people that I meet. I don't know all the Percy Priest striper stuff but I have put in2-5 days a week for last 14 yrs all 12 months.......I get the trying the hardest award.
BandDad
Water Zebra Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the thorough and detailed response Don and the offer on the video. I'll send you a PM with my address momentarily.

The contrast between your post and my experiences during Feb reminds me of an exchange on this board a few weeks ago.... in broad strokes...the locations and techniques you describe are pretty much the same approach I've used and yet we, apparently, have had very different results in Feb. Once again...the devil is def in the details!!

I agree...you def get the trying the hardest award!

Very Happy
JJGUIDE
Movin' on Up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: INfo Reply with quote

Thats some great info you have shared with us, Im sure it will put this newbie on the right track.Pm sent
Jmoss
I Think It's a Biggun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Feb. On Priest Reply with quote

Feb. is a great month for stripers and hybrids both. Look up stream above Hobson Pike bridge. Watch for the birds, either hitting the water or just a tight wad in the air all in one location. Bait is the key. Some of the fish will start there down stream movement in Feb. There are allways some fish all over the lake though in most cases not enough to fish or take the time or money to look for. Check out hong kong island durning this month. River bends with trees. Any where you see tight balls of bait is a good place to look. Something has pushed the bait together getting ready to feed. If I see large bait balls I'll shut my engin down and make circles with my trolling motor starting from the bait and moving out to see if I can find the fish that caused them to bunch up. If in the Hong Kong island area it will not be hard to find the fish. Just look for the boats. From what I think I know is the fish tend to be in larger sohools durning late winter so that may make them harder to find for some people if other folks are not fishing when you go out. Way up stream in the east fork is a underground spring that blows water up at a year round temp. of 58 F. The shad and stripers and hybrids will be there durning the coldest weather. It's not a place to fish from a boat with out bothering the folks fishing from the bank. Is best not to do. There are also some under ground springs in the west fork. It's a matter of finding them with you temp. on your fish finder. Banddad is right on the money. Warmer water and small baits. Shiners are easy to buy and you don't get wet throwing a cast net in 20 degree weather. I don't care who you are a person can always learn more. I have been after these fish for a long time and I still learn things it seems everytime that I am on the lake. Also there is a great spring up in spring creek that can be accessed from the road. The best thing to do is spend as much time as you can afford trying to learn. Buy a good topo map. This will be a great tool. I also have a great teacher and who I call the best guide on the J.P.P. Mitch Tinney. Also listen to what Don has to say. I have moved up to Four Corners and my boat is just 4 up from Don's though I have never met him. Don as I have heard through the years is right there at the top of the best. Hope this helps all who read.

Jmoss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Report Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: