STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roanoke River

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Roanoke River Reply with quote

Since I have a conflict for the Soup Troup weekend, I decided to make plans for the following weekend to the Roanoke River. Me and 3-4 other guys will spend 3 nights in Weldon, NC. I don't know how many of you have tried this fishery but its incredible for numbers of Striped Bass. We'll probably drift with the current and bounce baits off the bottom while dodging all the other boat traffic...lol. I fished there several times when I lived in Raleigh, NC. It will be all catch and release with crimped barbs and my personal best day there was with two other guys in a jon boat and we caught 347 fish! We caught over 100 fish on the dead shad in our tank before using the live bait. Days of 80 to 100 fish are normally what you get... Size will be between 3-10 lbs though the occasional cow can show up... Its been 9 years since I've been back, and all I have to bring is a bait tank...lol

"I've spent 85% of my lifes wages on fishing, the rest I just wasted..."
Jimmybee
Fish On

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: rr Reply with quote

I live right up the road and agree, it's an incredible fishery. Only problem is it is getting more and more crowded every year. If you can fish during the week it is much less crowded but expect 1-2 hour waits to get to the launch ramp if you go on a Saturday.
We usually run by Nutbush Bridge on Buggs to get bait but if you are familiar with Raleigh it may be worthwhile to check out Crabtree Creek also. Nutbush was under water the past couple weeks.
Last I heard the bucks are definitely there and the ladies should arrive soon. Upriver in Buggs the fish are already at SoBo and should be in Danville soon!
DieHard
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dang sure don't want to buy bait in that area - HIGHWAY ROBBERY! There are a lot less people when the "keepa season" is over. For sure it is dink heaven.

www.monsterstripes.com
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: I'm bringing some bait with me... Reply with quote

for Friday...Not sure yet what the plans are for Sat and Sunday....might be pitchin Yum money minnows...lol. What about catchin bait at Roanoke Rapids Lake? I know we have caught bait at Falls Lake too... Haven't tried Crabtree Creek before... I lived in Raleigh for 6 years... and have fished at Weldon several times but haven't stayed there to fish for multiple days. Seems like I always went back home and reloaded at Falls...

"I've spent 85% of my lifes wages on fishing, the rest I just wasted..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: