STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The secret of the "Transom Bait"...lol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: The secret of the "Transom Bait"...lol Reply with quote

I know many of you probably believe the boat makes fish skiddish and try and get your baits as far away from the boat as practical... Well, i can't exactly explain why it works, but I always put a bait out the back of the boat, off the transom, on a very short leash, usually no more than 10 ft behind the boat and usually a nice sized Gizzard Shad. The gizzard will "wake" alot on a short leash. This bait is most effective for me in the river, fairly shallow water say 5-15 ft depth. I have a transom bait out even on the main lake fishing, but the river is where it exceeds. Often times i get more bites on this bait than any others. I almost think they see the boat as an ambush point and explode on the closely trailing bait. When you hear of bait gettin blasted that was reeled in and just dangling next to the boat, I don't think its a fluke...All I can say is try it a few trips and make up your own mind...Not to mention, its fun to watch a big striper very close to the boat chasing a bait. Sometimes when you are not paying attention, the blow-up can scare the daylights out of you...lol. Fishing is suppose to be fun, right? I wasn't smart enough to invent this trick, but I was smart enough to try it after someone showed it to me...lol. Ask me at the troup gathering for more info if you interested...

"I've spent 85% of my lifes wages on fishing, the rest I just wasted..."
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Woody, I was up the river Thursday with Corey and Bill and showed them Woody's hole and talked about the transom or "wake" bait.

You made KenW a believer and he made me a believer.

www.lowrance.com/en/
www.driftmaster.com
rgv
Bait's Gettin' Nervous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Close bait Reply with quote

Someone I respect told me a year ago to always flat line 1 bait 17 pulls off the reel behind the boat. It gets hit frequently enough to be worthwhile.
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: It's catching on in the club here ... Reply with quote

One time I had a 22 lb striper hit the transom bait and he was so close to the back of the boat, the motor cowling blocked the view of the giant hole it made in the water..I sure heard the splash and the bait clicker though.... I use a rod with a real limber tip, sitting in a rod holder, and parallel to the water... The rod is angled out back behind the motor... Its fun to watch a fish boil on the bait and make repeated swipes at it...But generally, when its the big fish, its just splash and lots of clicker...no warning...lol

Rob Herrington
Bait's Gettin' Nervous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 20+lbs cuda hit the motor and slide off the starboard side of the boat kingfishing at the G reef....he hit the motor so hard it unbuckled 2 cowl latches
Yaz
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm exactly what you are talking about. I like to run a bait off the back down rigger about 6 pulls back. It doesn't matter where the fish are at in the water column. They do come up to get it. My rigger is situated right over my transducer. I can see 'em coming every time. For real fun, I can give the bait about 10 pulls, and set it about 6' down, and they'll chase it to the top. It takes a while for people to figure out how I know when its going to get hit!!! Just look at the finder to see 'em coming up on a string. Very Happy

I can't count the times I've boated a fish, and re-baited, and threw it off the transom, only to get bit as soon as the bait hits the water. I think others follow the caught fish up, and just hang out under the boat.
Rockfish
1 Can-Do
1 Can-Do

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of answers a question I had regarding using down-rods while river fishing. Most of my experience is on lakes and when I'm river fishing (typically "shallow" water) I usually only pull weightless bait. Last year we were fishing the Cumberlos and talked to another boat who said the only bites they were getting were on down-rods set 10-14 ft deep which surprised the shit out of me. It kink of goes against everything I thought I knew about the "spook factor." Shocked
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Downlining in water 7-9 feet deep... Reply with quote

For the March tournaments on Lake Murray we had several fish hit downlines that were barely underwater. The flat we were fishing off the main river channel had some grass and reeds on the bottom so we couldn't put baits down very far below the boat. At times the fish were chasing our shad in circles on top right next to the boat....These were 6-8 lb fish. I would put the weight 3 feet below the surface and the rigs had 3 ft leaders. The transom bait did OK but the downlines were the hot bite. And to be fair we only had one transom bait but 4 down lines working around the boat...

Jimmybee
Fish On

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: wake bait Reply with quote

I definitely use a transom bait when I kingfish but have never tried it for the stripes. We've had cobia and dolphin just about land in the boat, scares the crap out of the ladies.
Is this a clear water situation?
Also does anybody pull live bait off downriggers like you would when fishing for kings? I've always meant to, but never get around to.

PS-Sorry, Yaz, I'm guessing the bait you are referencing is a live one. Do you use the main or TM when you pull them like that?
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: I always run a transom bait.... Reply with quote

I would say it does better in clear water and seems to excel in river/shallow water situations.... Always a blast to watch a Gizzard shad going ballistic to get away and Striped Bass on his ass...The unexpected blow ups will scare you sometimes when they are that close...lol

Yaz
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmybee,

I do pull a live bait off the ball slow trolling with the electric motor. Put him on a short leash, and send it down. When the time is right, I only lower it enough to let the bait get right back up to the top. Kind of like the way Reality_ Bites is fishing it . Use a very light release clip, and only a very little bend in the very tip of the rod...basically as an indicator when it pops. But, most of the time...the spray coming over the transom will let you know!!!! Shocked

Whats cool is seeing the fish on the fish finder coming up to get it!!!! Very Happy

I can't figure out why, but this works when down rods won't. Question Question Question
sportfish
Holding My Own

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a short down-line off the back. And, unless the wind is really nasty, I'll pull either a free line or light line about 50ft behind me. There have been plenty of times they have produced, and the boards/longer lines haven't. Also, in the back of some creek arms I have to keep everything short just to make a turn. It's always a blast to hook up on a fish where there's limited room to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: