STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANNUAL DUES FOR 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Hughes
Magic 8-Ball
Magic 8-Ball

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Shawn Reply with quote

Been reading all this -- you want unpaid traffic -- this is how you will keep the site growing -- you also want sections LOCKED to those who are not PAYING fraternity members -- you have a TON of great information and knowledgeable folks who post on here -- SO my suggestion is to keep parts of your site OPEN free to all who visit and make certain sections a pay per view --

You will get the best of both worlds so to speak --

You need the come on -- (to get lurkers to join) and the members to continue their support of the site --

Its still a pain because you have to weed and wade through spammers - but I believe it will help attracting and keeping members --

Its a "fraternity" of like minded Morones fishermen who will keep this site active.

And IF there are truly needy folks wanting to be members - there should be a welfare exemption --

This is really an online Striper Magazine with good stories, fishing how to's, personal anecdotes, in short every bit as good as IN Fishermans rag.

My 02
Mean Morone
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put Tony. I will still be here in 16 months if you all will have me. I don't fish for stripers that much at all but truly love those mean morone. There is the issue of those that are very far away from good fishing not being able to fish with fellow soupers, or provide any good info. I think this enforces the idea of having select members. If I give the 12 dollars, it will be benefiting those members of the soup that are close. Like I said about my site, there is a special section reserved for members that are invited and voted on. The other members dont even know there is a special section(until now I guess) until they get an invitation. Everyone is happy. The ones in the special section are encouraged to post in the open forums and they have no problem doing so. Theres alot of razzing going on along with very good specific fishing spots and fishing related info. There is still info in the open forum, but the guys in the special section are very close, like fishing buds, and are willing to give up the very good info. We don't have a fee to join, but you could do it that way. If members think they might be missing out on good info, I'm sure they will fork out the cash to join the select group. Shawn this is your site and you can do whatever you want. I know you said that this site is for us, but I respect the fact you provide this site for us. Thanks Shawn.
HANKPMT
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's input is VALUABLE and that is what makes the Soup the best!I honestly think that having a section where you have to be voted in or invited would not go over real well,mainly because of our every day lives we are drowning in politics. Sad Why not just pay the $12 and have access to it all,I would be glad to help out anyway that I can! We ALL are in a select group....thats why we are in the SOUP bowl!! Cool
buzzz90
I Think It's a Biggun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, I will be happy to pay 12.00 bucks for the info gained on this site...Very informative and just fun to get a soup fix...Haven't posted much due to the fact of not fishing much since joining the site...Will get the check to you ASAP...Thanks...
WD
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like tony has some good ideas.
phi. 4:13,

"slow down, We're in a hurry"

http://www.castawaybaits.com
http://southernchristiansportsmen.com
BudMan
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn you gonna be in town anytime soon? Not a big check writer would rather pay cash. But will write one if you insist!! Crying or Very sad
BCFR #508
Red over White
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: A different view Reply with quote

I spend a pile of money every year to catch a fish, only to take a picture with it and then turn it loose (sounds really crazy when you write it down). What's $12 more a year, that's like throwing a deck chair off the Queen Mary. However, the information collected on here over the years was given freely by many and to begin charging for it would be like collecting charitable donations for one purpose and then in the end using 'em for something slightly gainful. I'm struggling with that and not the financial part at all. This forum is quite unique in the quality of information that some great anglers have shared, there really isn't anything else out there that's even close. Even though I'm sure there are nothing but noble intentions for the membership fee, from what little it has been touched on, it appears like it will only benefit a small fraction of the members (gathering, fish off, soup propaganda, moderators time etc...). Will that make the soup better? It will for a select few. Operating a no ad forum is a labor of love and I'm positive it will not go away, however it will never be like it once was either. Is that a good thing? Time will tell.

Merry Christmas to all you finaddicts out there!!!
SKIFFYA
Little Chef
Little Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, moderating is done in my spare time and on a volunteer basis...I don't get payed to read every single forum and correct what needs correcting. Shawn still handles the majority of work.

I was about to spend some major money out of my own pocket. The photo contest was my idea, so I told Shawn I would pay for the prized jacket that will be awarded. He told me I could save my money and it would be funded through the dues. How many of you have participated in the contest???

I think alot of you guys are getting this all wrong. Everyone will benefit from the Soup, so long as they choose to do so! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
5 Can-Dos
5 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't really feel I'm in a position to comment having only been a member for a few months. But here it goes anyways...

I think this site is worth $12 a year and I will end up paying it. I've learned a ton from this site in only a few months and I think the striper related information here is second to none on the web. My only concern with charging is the long term effects on the site. I think many people will pay the dues for next year. But what about the year after next and so on. Eventually, a lot of people may just say the heck with it. I think one of the great things about this site is the reports from lakes and rivers all over the country. No other sites that I know of have that. I think if you push a lot of those people away, you'll find you may be stuck with just Ga. and Tenn. reports, which is where a lot of the members come from and probably are the one's who are most willing to pay the dues. But again, it's Shawn's site, so he can do whatever he wants with it, and I'm going to support it either way because I've certainly learned from it and hope to continue learning from it. Just my 2 cents.
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: What's free? Reply with quote

Jim, you talk about a "free" site, but how many of us have bought a $12 spool of P-line? I don't think the $12 will strap anybody financially. Most of the people on here could probably cut out a few days of smoking or chewing or drinking and do themselves a favor and have the site paid for. Maybe it's just the act of striking a check and having to put it in the mail amongst all of the other hub-bub of a regular day in the lives of most of us that people are against.

I'm very pleased so far with the number of members who have decided they want to stay on board and help provide a better Soup. There is an important part of this website which MOST members are missing out on. That's the GIVING part. No forum would ever be anything if nobody made a post. Those of you who already know everything don't need to be here. Those of you who don't want to converse with some of the best striper fishermen in the world don't need a Soup membership. Those of you who never fish, therefore never post reports, don't really need to be here UNLESS you enjoy living vicariously through those of us who DO fish and DO post REPORTS. Everybody benefits from GIVING, especially those who are the givers. If you are all take, shame on you, for the 100th time. It's my opinion that a good forum will stay a good forum even if all the lurkers are gone since nobody even knows they exist anyways. I'm not discouraging any members. If you are a LURKER (or "non poster" to be P.C.), you're welcome to stay on and pay your dues and remain that way, but it's gonna cost you a little bit to just read.

Talk about participating. That is the SPIRIT of this forum. I want to see everybody involved. Not everybody wants to play, but those of us who do make the 'Soup what it is. The competitions and gatherings are just another way to participate. One guy from California came to last year's get-together just to meet and shake hands with those of us who were there. While others who live only a couple hours away OR LESS weren't able to make it for some reason or another. This year the gathering will be planned 4-5 months in advance so nobody can schedule a dumbass tournament around it.

The photo contest has been pretty lackadaisical for the most part, but the prize will be a good one for the winner who put forth the small amount of effort required to meet the requirement.

Some folks can help us come up with some ideas for more things to do. Maybe a cast-netting/bait keeping/boat rigging day somewhere around Allatoona where everybody can look at everybody's rigs (BOAT rigs) and meet and greet and have a fish fry or something. I'm open to any suggestions.

We should have the most active activity list around since we have one of the most active striper forums anywhere!

The yearly dues will benefit all. And of course, like anything else, they will benefit those who participate more than those who don't.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
capt.chum
4 Can-Dos
4 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, That's what it's all about. Applause

New membership may decline and thats the only drawback.

If you cant afford it skip 2 meals a year. Idea
CravenStripes
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Would Reply with quote

You be willing to take an IOU????? Or how about we start a tab like at the bar and you just add to it every year and when it gets to where it actually is worth my time of filling out a check we even up.....Anybody second this motion?????
Rockfish
1 Can-Do
1 Can-Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Would Reply with quote

CravenStripes wrote:
You be willing to take an IOU????? Or how about we start a tab like at the bar and you just add to it every year and when it gets to where it actually is worth my time of filling out a check we even up.....Anybody second this motion?????

Wow, I hope you're buckled in...

It probably takes you longer to open this site and read one post than it does to write a single check - learn to multi-task. Confused
CravenStripes
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Rockfish I guess Reply with quote

working 2... 40 hour plus a week jobs isn't multi tasking enough for you. It was a JOKE Dipshit........
Rockfish
1 Can-Do
1 Can-Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just as apparent from your original post that you work 80 hours a week as it was a joke. Rolling Eyes
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all just kiss and make up. 80 hours is a lot, but it still leaves time in the year to write a check for the Soup somewhere in there.

Rockfish, the comment was a little tasteless. Seems like he was joking on his original post as well. Santa's watching you guys!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shamrock
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn is the $12 like you saying;” welcome to my wolf pack”
(The Hangover} ?
capt.chum
4 Can-Dos
4 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like to…I’d like to say something…something I prepared. Tonight…

Hello,

How about that ride in? I guess that’s why they call it StriperSoup(hahaha)

You guys may not know this, but I consider myself…a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one man wolf pack. But when I found the Soup, I knew I was no longer alone ,there were many who also suffered from this addiction and I was no longer on my own. And my wolf pack, it grew by not just one. So we are 924…so there was 924 of us in the pack. I…I was alone first in the pack, and then I joined yall later.

I thought…wait a second, could it be. And now I know for sure, I just added 924 more guys to my wolf pack. 924 of us wolves running around together, in Lake Striper Soup looking for stripers and beer. So tonight, we make a toast!
LittleMiamiJeff
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brett30030 wrote:
Mean Morone wrote:
I'm a little hesitant only because my wife will get her hackles up. Laughing 12 bucks is alot of money in my house. A dollar a month is a pretty good deal. As for getting people to post reports, It's hard to get people to post if they don't get to fish in the first place. You guys are truely blessed to have all that good striper fishing so close. I post all my fishing reports. My last one was about fishing for drum if that tells you anything(see my big goo in the other fish section). I get to fish for stripers once a year and two if I'm real lucky. I live in a striper dead zone. No stripers of any good amount around here. I have to drive 4 hrs one way to get to the nearest good striper hole. I do love to read the reports you guys give though. Makes me think there is hope for me to get in on some of that good fishing some day. I came that close to fishing with Tim but then he moved. I still want to get with Ezell on Norris and Cherokee. I still remember reading Shawns reports many many years ago on another site. Man that brings back memories. It's hard to give all that up just because I cant aford 12 bucks! I will have to dip into the smack slush fund. Problem is, there isn't much in there.

Somehow i believe you can come up with the $.03 per day for your soup ration Cool

Brett, with all due respect to the fact you don't know Scott's circumstances, I'll ditto his reply, Smack Tackle makes some fine lures, and when Scott's partner posted a week or so ago he had his first paying remodel job in 3 weeks, that pointed out to me the dismal economy in their neck of the woods, just an hour east of me here in Cincinnati.
Scott works full time at Smack, but doesn't get paid full time, from what I understand. (hope this isn't TMI, Scott).
So, buy Smack's lures, and Scott and Todd and Wade will have the $.03 a day for themselves as well as being able to donate for others less fortunate to subscribe as well, if they choose.
I'm a little torn as to the $12 also, not because it's a lot of $, but because as others have stated, there's other ways to raise operating funds.
It is an excellent site, with excellent members, I've learned a lot, and like Scott, don't have many opportunities to put the knowledge into play, due to scarcity of Stripers in this area.
I still like to browse and read and look at pictures, and have made some great friends here, so again $12 isn't much. Other than Smack's forum, I come to Striper Soup more than any other forum, free or not.
One concern I would have, is if I paid my $12, would I be censured for posting from my Christian perspective? I've been corrected in the past for using Scripture in the Rants and General Discussion areas, where it plainly says "say anything you want" in the description. Am I free "to be me" when I pay this $12?
Merry CHRISTmas! Smile
LMJ
Brett Wendel
MANGO MAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....oh brother Embarassed

My .03 cents per day and some $ for a hat and stickers is in the mail today.
Team Castaway Baits

Last edited by Brett Wendel on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
JohnMan
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Dues Reply with quote

I am late getting this sent, but my 2010 dues are in the mail. I also sent $6.00 fo two Medium Stickers if there are any left.
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got a few of each on the stickers! I'll letcha know if they run out.
geeseman
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chum thats freakin hilarious and if you can play black jack like him I am taking you to Vegas with me...........I choked on my coffee when I started reading that man that was good.....only the few that have watched that movie will appreciate that comment..........

where's Doug?
Red over White
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Not at the table Carlos"
DieHard
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is this; you can not buy a book, a video or anything else at any price that will even come close to the wealth of information that is in this soup pot. Ever tried to ask a book or video a question? $12 is a miniscule price to pay. A free trial period might be a good thing and maybe even a limited access area but a fee to get access to the real nuts and bolts is worth it. I may not say too much but I read and study almost everything that gets posted about the how to stuff and it's priceless.

Most of the points made so far are good ones but the Chef does own this site and has maintained it for many years at his own cost so a little help shouldn't be too much to ask if he so chooses.

www.monsterstripes.com
EarlyRiser
5 Can-Dos
5 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang forgot about this. Will send dues out tomorrow or Friday.

Watched your DVDs recently, Diehard. Those are enough to make a grown man cry. One day I'm gonna catch one like those and it's going back in the lake too! Very Happy
geepersag
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Check Reply with quote

I finally got back from the cold west to the colder and wetter south....check is in the mail (today).
jonfishmacon
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what no lifetime memberships ????
and gold leaf hats Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GWIG
Castin' Back Out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: soup dues Reply with quote

I am also one of the fellow soupers that does not post much. Being from the north (pa.) we do not have the entire year to fish. In fact ,our local lakes are already freezing over. Thats one of the reasons i started coming south a few times a year in the spring to fish.Reading on this site during the winter sure does help with the cabin fever. But anyway, my dues are in the mail today. along with extra money for a few stickers to put on the new (to me) rig. I have looked at a lot of fishing forums and this one is by far the best i have ever seen.
RockyS
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I counted 55 out of 934. Shocked However it does look like most of the regulars made it. Shawn have you heard from some of the others, like Tony, Red over White etc?
Dirk
River Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Stressin me Reply with quote

Tony, R.O.W. and any others need to send in their money... Tony is a TOP contributor and some of the best info on here is from him. I am completely BROKE & BANKRUPT, literally, but I will send in Tony's $12 if he forgot or whatever... I hope all the others that have contributed like R.O.W. and many others will send their $12 in. That's cheaper than 1 meal and drink at Longhorns, and you get a whole year of your internet striper fishing fix... Confused
RockyS
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk, I feel the same. I have learned alot from reading Tony's post. Not only fishing but outboards, and other fishing related stuff.
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: and me too... Reply with quote

better late than never...lol

"I've spent 85% of my lifes wages on fishing, the rest I just wasted..."
Striperz
I Think It's a Biggun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn , hope you got my 12 bucks
i really like this pot of soup.
sportfish
Holding My Own

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the Soup. I posted an intro, and will be mailing my dues tomorrow. Also, if still available, I will be including some $$ for stickers.
Hope to see some of you guys out on the water.
HeadsAndTails
Movin' on Up

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post. Count me in on dues!

H&T
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: 109 It continues to climb Reply with quote

As of today, we are 109 members strong.

Bait Head
bankwalker
bassboy1
Big Jeff
Bigfish Catcher
billybob
Boots
bpowell451
Brett30030
BudMan
burtsy
buzzz90
capt chum
Catch & Release
clicker
coreyp
country
CowCatcher
CPT. BB
Cy Grajcar
Danny Leigh
Deer Tic
diehard
dirk
Dory
downrigger
dsteffe
Dustin Pate
EarlyRiser
ecox
ellsworth
erik
fairweatherfisherman
firemedic113
firstbite
fish bum
fish4food1
Fisher of Men
geepersag
geeseman
Glassmaster
gt
GWIG
HANKPMT
HeadsAndTails
Ironside
Jamie Townsend
Jeff Blair
Jeff Gerrin
Jerry
JFTVaulter
Jimmybee
Joebfishn
John
JohnMan
jonfishmacon
KC Striper
Keith Shannon
Ken L
KidBass
kjprather
kscoggins
Kyler
LittleMiamiJeff
Lucky Strike
mcvet03
MikeH71
mikemad
mwardncsu
Nothin but Fish
Numbers
olered
Palmbeach
panfish
petdoc
ProVLE
PSBA ADAM
r. perry
R61 Ranger
Ranger361
rausvegas
Reality Bites
reelman19
RGV
Rockfish
RockyS
rychrd
ScoutnStripers
Screaming Reels
shadnasty
shamrock
Skiffya
smccullough
sportfish
srmz
starsnstripes
stock
striperchaser2
Striperz
syoungblood
T farmer
tmckenzie
TNStriperCatcher
Trailerhook
WD
Wildman
Yaz
yodashad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: