STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SUMMER TROUT as bait on mid ga lakes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonfishmacon
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: SUMMER TROUT as bait on mid ga lakes? Reply with quote

is the water temp too hot to try trout on lakes like Juliette, in july-aug ??

water temp is over 90f
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too hot. Just take a little Hollandaise sauce and they will be delicious after about two minutes. Laughing
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe on downlines...If you get them down and keep them down and there is enough o2 at depth. They will die immediately in the hot water. Anything over about 75 is murder on trout. Rainbows are more heat tolerant than browns.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jonfishmacon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might give it a try soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Etter1
1 more, I've got Four

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeinStripes wrote:
Maybe on downlines...If you get them down and keep them down and there is enough o2 at depth. They will die immediately in the hot water. Anything over about 75 is murder on trout. Rainbows are more heat tolerant than browns.

Rainbows are the least tolerant to warm temperatures of the three local species. Browns are the most.
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Etter... Reply with quote

Seriously? Have you ever pulled a brown side by side with a rainbow in the same 75-76 degree water only to have the brown go ass-up while the rainbow is still kicking? Rolling Eyes Cool Rolling Eyes

Are you talking from a TU "I like to catch bait and call it dinner" standpoint, or from a striper angler "I've pulled them for bait and this is my experience" standpoint? I'm talking about using them for bait.

As far as research goes, folks say the rainbow is tolerant up to 78 while the brown is tolerant to 84. On paper, it looks like the brown wins as summer bait. I just know from my own experience the rainbows drag around better by the nose. Wink
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dirk
River Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Trout Reply with quote

The guy at the trout hatchery near Kingston GA told me that in his 30+ years of raising trout, that rainbows will stop eating at 72-73 degrees and will go belly up at over 76-77 degrees for more than 24 hours. I guarantee you put ANY trout species in 80 degree water it will be dead in a couple hours max. Of course the size is a factor too, with the bigger trout dying faster than the small ones. I have been fishing trout waters in north GA for about 30 years and have never caught a trout in water that was over 70 degrees, and I have tried, so I think the hatchery guy is right on.

Brown Trout tolerant to 84 degrees is something I will NEVER believe. I guess if I smoked some Crack, dropped some Acid, and shot up some Heroin, and became an ultra-liberal democrat, it might be possible then.....
Shadnasty
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience anything over 70degrees is bad for trout. They become sluggish and do not perform well. I would rather have a frisky bait of some other species and not drag around half dead trout.
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Depnds on 02 Reply with quote

If there is enough 02 in the water the trout do better in warm water.

My trout guy told me his best feed conversion ratio is when the water is above 70 degrees. He does have to add pure 02 to keep them going when the water is that warm, but they pack on the pounds at the higher water temps.

I recently (about 2 months ago) raised my trout tank water from the mid 50's to the mid 60's to save on the electric bill - the trout have grown more then ever before. I mean rapidly.

If water conditions are good - I'll take a brown over a rainbow most any time. Been having trouble getting any brownies this year.

www.lowrance.com/en/
www.driftmaster.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: