STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay it FORWARD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Hughes
Magic 8-Ball
Magic 8-Ball

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Pay it FORWARD Reply with quote

The fishing fraternity needs to sit up and take notice - fishing license sales are declining nationwide year over year now.

We need to be ambassadors to our heritages before we lose them.

Teach newbies how, pass on your passion to the next generations coming up , so they will remain in the pastime.

Our elementary and secondary schools are populated with educators who have never set foot in the woods or water and these folks are perfectly happy supporting World Wildlife Fund or portraying fishermen and hunters as a bunch of un-educated animal cruelty monsters.

The kids are buying into this education too. They have become content to sit in a VR world behind a computer screen where it is warm and comfy, plenty to snack on and get fat.

Don't have kids? Take your neighbors kids with you. Show em how, teach them why, go have fun !!!

Who will stand up for outdoor heritage in the next generation?
LittleMiamiJeff
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Tony, my grandsons come out with me during the season, my grand-daughters will love to fish too, the 6 and 5 year old are just about old enough.
I need to use this reasoning to buy a pontoon boat, so ALL of them (6) can come at once, teach them trolling basics or find a bluegill or crappie honey hole.
Thanks for the reminder!
LMJ
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, we need a youth outreach. Something the kids actually utilize. They don't get on these old fogey forums like us. They are pretty computer savvy by the time they are in 1st grade these days. Take a kid fishing is good, but it's face to face and requires intense man-hours. Some kind of VR (Virtual Reality as in internet and high tech electronic devices for you old farts who didn't know) presence, as Tony puts it, so it's out there all the time and can be accessed without the need to organize a physical gathering. Hell, it's just the way the world's going. Look at us! The getting out on the lake fishing part is like the icing on the cake, while all the internet chatter and blah blah is the nuts and bolts.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mwardncsu
Can-Do Patrol
Can-Do Patrol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to see Joe Jiggs on Nickelodeon (I don't think they'd let him on the Disney Channel). Laughing

You're right that it takes lots of time on the water with the kids, and I sure as heck know that my boy can sometimes get me frustrated when his 7 yr old patience starts to wear thin after an hour on the water without any action - but its also there that most of the learning takes place. While I'll be hard-core searching for striper all day without a bite, I find things work a lot better if when I bring my son I acknowledge that we're there for time on the water together, and a big striper is just icing on the cake..... breaking off when the action is slow to do a little blue-gill fishing often pays dividends..... that, and pairing up with a buddy who has a similar age child works great also. That time invested now will is priceless and hopefully pays dividends when they pass our love of fishing and respect for wildlife on down to their kids.... heck, there will come a day where someone's gonna have to throw the net for us.....

Not to get mushy, but I fish with a couple of guys where I can see the direct influence of the previous generation on them - and how they are passing it forward now.

That said - it would be great to find ways to get kids more involved and also exposed to the "fair and balanced" viewpoint other than what they may hear - anything would still take time and investment from us - even if not on the water, but in the schools, scout groups, etc..... As a Cub Scout leader, I think most Packs would gobble up the opportunity if you offered to come in to a Pack meeting and do a talk to the kids about responsible fishing, and spread a few fishing tales.... teach a few easy knots, throw a 10' or 12' net Joe Jiggs style, etc - you'll have them begging Mom & Dad to hit the lakes.....
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have an indian guy come to our middle school every year and do different indian stuff. Showing how they made fire, arrowheads, beads, etc. The one thing I remember most is pine needle tea. Take a handful of fresh green needles and boil them for a while. Makes a decent tea that tastes alot like gin.

I guess it wouldn't be to hard to incorporate several aspects/instruments of striper fishing into a presentation. Fishfinder in demo mode, cast net, bait tank running with trout in it, tie a few knots, build a planer board...I'm not sure how well I'd deal with snotty faced kids though. Confused
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mwardncsu
Can-Do Patrol
Can-Do Patrol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeinStripes wrote:
I'm not sure how well I'd deal with snotty faced kids though. Confused

It's one thing to "manage" your own kids - it's another thing all together to manage someone elses.

I have great respect for you guides that not only put up with, but will encourage and promote kids joining trips. I've know a guide or two who do a lot to make the kids a part of the action even if it might cost a fish or two and it's something the kids never forget. You don't know how much your actions mean to the kids and how it hooks them for life.

Funny how enthralled with the bait the kids are - of course as scarace as gizzards were for us this fall on SML I know some big kids that were just as excited Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: