STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gizz 4 tuning....need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petdoc
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Gizz 4 tuning....need help Reply with quote

Recently bought a couple gizz4's in the green and purple pearl colors, both deep divers. These are some hot lookin' cranks...best shad realism that I've seen. I got them to use trolling, but I can't seem to get them tuned to run straight: they pull out of the dive to either side. Tried standard line-eye tuning but it hasn't worked. LMJ (or anyone), any suggestions on getting these things tuned? I'm using 12lb. test medium baitcasting gear and have tried traditional and loop knots.
thanks guys
Russ
bigfishcatcher
Castin' Back Out

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: lure correction Reply with quote

look at this web site it might help

http://www.predatek.com/2_tuning.htm
LittleMiamiJeff
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gizz 4 tuning....need help Reply with quote

petdoc wrote:
Recently bought a couple gizz4's in the green and purple pearl colors, both deep divers. These are some hot lookin' cranks...best shad realism that I've seen. I got them to use trolling, but I can't seem to get them tuned to run straight: they pull out of the dive to either side. Tried standard line-eye tuning but it hasn't worked. LMJ (or anyone), any suggestions on getting these things tuned? I'm using 12lb. test medium baitcasting gear and have tried traditional and loop knots.
thanks guys
Russ

Pet doc, for all the tuning and tweeking you've done, SLOWING down is probably the best and easiest fix, unless you can't get the big motor any slower.
This is Scott Smith's response to your post: "Hey Jeff, I just checked out seeinstripes and saw that a guy was having trouble with his Gizz 4's tracking straight while trolling. He said he tried to adjust it but it still doesn't track right. He might be trolling too fast. I have trouble with them too if we go too fast. If that doesn't solve it then there might be some other issue we aren't awhere of. If he can't get them straightened out have him contact me or todd and we will take care of it."

Contact Scott at scott@smacktackle.com he is real good about getting things right, or Todd at todd@smacktackle.com Todd is on it too.
Hope you get them straight, they do attract and catch a lot of fish!
LMJ
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Can't slow down.... Reply with quote

Sometimes slowing down isn't an option. In a lot of scenarios, especially with striper, they want the bait at "fleeing speed" so they can give chase and the prey stays in front of them. You can really study this if you are in clear water and you watch the fish pass your lure by and then lose interest. If you keep up the speed, you can keep the lure in FRONT of them and get bit. Being a fairly fast fish, a 4-5 mph retrieve is a good speed for stripes. If the lure can't run that fast, it won't be a good all-around striper lure. I used to burn a SSR-14 through my big fish holes when they were turned on as fast as I could turn the handle on a 6500 C3. They would literally rip the rod out of my hand when they hit...almost lost it once! Razz Cool Razz

When fishing below Ft. Loudon in the boils at night, they wanted it at an EXACT speed, and it was NOT slow. Too fast and you'd just get bump, bump, bump as they tried to keep up. Too slow and you wouldn't even know there were fish there. If you rolled it along at the right speed you'd get SLAMMED.

In summary Wink there is a 'trigger' speed most of the time that will get a lure bit. Too fast, too slow = no go. A good review for any lure chucker: vary the speed until you find the right cadence.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
petdoc
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: gizz Reply with quote

Thanks for the input BFC, LMJ, and Chef: I am going to try a couple of the other tuning techniques on these baits and see what happens. With my big motor I am getting a bottom end speed of 2.5 to 3mph so not much downward wiggle room on that variable. Good to know that if I can't get 'em running the guys at Smack Tackle seem more than willing to help out.
LittleMiamiJeff
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about normal low end speed on a big motor trolling.
I really do suggest emailing those guys, they want these lures to succeed for you more than you do, for obvious reasons.
Chef, at Ft. Loudon boils, on my first ever striper trip, the deep diver wasn't in production so we carolina'd the shallow Gizz4 and pretty much let it sink and retrieved, and sometimes w/out extra weight let it sit on the top, inside a gate, crystal clear water and just twitched it and watched the stripes come up and hammer it! I was giddy and intoxicated by all the striper action never laughed so hard in a long time!
LMJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Smackers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: