STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MORONE PENTATHLON

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: MORONE PENTATHLON Reply with quote

Due to recent requests for a new competition, I have hatched an idea for a NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE fishing competition. The Morone Pentathlon: Biggest Striper, Hybrid, White Bass, Yellow Bass, White Perch....

That being said, I've never caught a white perch, or waccamaw, as ROW used to call 'em. Most everybody would have to travel just to have a shot at all 5 species! I guess it could best 3 out of 5 if nobody gets all 5. I think the score should be a percentage of the current freshwater world records, that way, weight bias would be completely removed from the equation. Of course, everybody will need to be honest, and will need scales that weigh accurately in ounces for the smaller Morones AND up to and over 50 lbs for the BIG Morone! This could be a very involved competition. Shocked Confused Shocked

CURRENT WORLD RECORDS:

M. saxatilis: 67.5 lbs

M. saxatilis x chrysops: 27.3 lbs

M. chrysops: 6.8 lbs

M. mississippiensis: 3 lbs

M. americana: 3.13 lbs

Your score for each fish will be your weight/world record weight. Obviously, you'll want the heaviest fish in each specie. A photo of the fish on the scale WITH photo beacon must be included for each fish.

If you catch a 15.5 striper, 8 hybrid, 2 white, .5 yellow, and .5 perch Your score is: .23+.29+.29+.17+.16 = 1.14

If you don't catch all 5 fish, you don't qualify.

Who wants to do this? We will need a beacon to include in the photo to prove the fish were caught WHEN they were supposed to. I suppose this beacon could be 'purchased' with the entry fees. Once you enter in the competition, I will mail you your unique beacon. The next question would be WHEN to hold the competition and for HOW LONG. I'm thinking April-May. 2 months.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mcvet03
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm in now! Cool Cool I was wanting to do some white bass fishing anyway over the next few weeks! Sounds like a fun competition Cool
jonfishmacon
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the percentage idea
i was thinkin about suggesting a state record percentage fish off
or lake record
example
juliette 40 pounds
if you catch a 20 pound thats 50 points or 50%

so lakes with smaller fish can win
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SKIFFYA
Little Chef
Little Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I think the month of April and May is a good time.
1 Can-Do
1 Can-Do

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of making it relative to the body of water you're fishing. You would need everyone to be honest about it and it may get confusing if you catch different species on different water, etc. I do have the GA lakes/.rivers records by species from last year.
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: pentathlon Reply with quote

Trouble is I think Tennesse has no official river or lake records established. So everything here is small stuff.
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Per lake basis? No Reply with quote

I don't think we want to do it as a percentage of the body of water you're on. #1 its too involved, #2 the point is for you to try and catch the BIGGEST of whatever specie you're going for. If it means travel, then so be it. It does open the door for a whole new realm of non-honesty...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Ok, trial run, it's FREE Reply with quote

This year, the Morone Pentathlon will be free. Mainly because I don't have time to deal with it, but I still want it to go on. Since it's free and for honor, everybody will be legitimate, right? I will come up with a Soup gear prize pack for the winner.

Here's what it's going to be:

Competition runs from Apr 1 - May 31.

The goal is to catch the biggest of all 5 species of freshwater Morone that you can. Striper, Hybrid, White, Yellow, and White Perch

No striper from salt water can count, but rivers that drain into the ocean WILL count, as long as the water is FRESH. If there's any question, taste it!

Catch 1 or all 5 species, your score will be like the formula from above, a total of percentage weighed against the current freshwater world record. I suggest if you want to get the biggest fish within the specie class, you travel to where the big ones are. No state record or lake record junk. It would be too easy then.

Obviously, if you catch all 5 species, you have a better chance of winning than if you only get 3 or 4.

Here are a couple of scenarios of weights:

Striper weight-score
Hybrid weight-score
White weight-score
Yellow weight-score
White Perch weight-score
Total score

Scenario 1:
30-.44
10-.36
3-.44
1-.33
1-.32

Scenario 2:
15-.22
5-.18
4-.59
1.8-.60
1.5-.48

Remember, the score for each fish is the (weight of your fish divided by the W.R.). The total is the composite of all of your percentages.

Even though in scenario 2, the striper and hybrid were small, the other 3 fish were relatively large compared to the current world record. The win goes to scenario 2.

Hopefully this clears up any scoring confusion that may have existed.

This competition is designed to be fun, and let some guys show the diversity of their Morone knowledge. Participation is completely voluntary. It costs nothing to enter. You don't even have to declare entry. If you don't know the difference between Morone's, look it up, or don't enter the Morone Pentathlon.

To Enter a Fish: Take a picture of the fish on the scale so that the weight is legible. Email it to ME at sq@seeinstripes.com or send via picture message to my phone 404 844-6862. Here's the ONLY kicker: A SOUP CAN LOGO MUST BE VISIBLE IN THE PHOTO for it to qualify. If you don't have any gear with a can on it, you better get u some!

If you have any questions, let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: