STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Circle Hooks and small shad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jftvaulter
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Circle Hooks and small shad Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I purchased some red 5/0 and 6/0 red circle hooks to hook my gizzards with in the upper lip. I had great success with hook-ups and I only lost one or two stripe the whole day.

The following week I purchased more 6/0 circle hooks that were "thicker" and more bulky. These hooks were Eagle Claw I think (I don't have them in front of me so I'm not sure). Although they were the same size as the red hooks, they were much thicker and seemed more awkward with the shad.

When hooking the shad in the upper lip on trip #2, the gizzards' lower lip was forced open. It seemed strange to me but I had to go with the equipment I had.

Later in the trip I found the original "red" 6/0 and much thinner circle hooks. After switching hooks I had more success.

It may have been coincidence, but the lighter and smaller red 6/0 circle seemed to perform better than the thicker 6/0 circle hooks with my shad. Anyone have any input here?
Yaz
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect example of the lighter, less bulky hooks letting the bait swim more natural. I use the smallest, thinnest hooks for a particular size bait that I think I can get away with.

Yaz
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: I agree with YAZ. Reply with quote

The smaller the better - unless you got HUGE baits going for HUGE fish, then I like a STOUT 4X hook.
lake and stream
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you mean, i have /had some 4x 3/0 circles that i could catch a fish with to save my life . 9 missed fish on these hooks before i tossed them in the trash!

i have been using a 3/0 finess wide gap gamakatsu hook in red and black with very few missed fish. but they only make it in a 3/0 or smaller
fairweatherfisherman
SOUP GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the owner 5/0 mutu light circle. They are much easier on the baits than the thicker hooks.
Screaming Reels
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Different days = Different Results Reply with quote

I have used Gami 1/0 and 2/0 shiners for smaller baits and the Bass Pro Salt Water 5/0 to 6/0 for larger baits and got the same amount of hook ups. The days when I miss some fish, I will blame it on the hooks and days when I hook up a lot - I will blame it on the hooks....
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, if you are using those 8" gizzards, a 6/0 eagle claw is too big, a 5/0 is probably too big. try a 3/0 or 4/0. when fishing the boils, the fish will do a lot of snatching because it's hard for them to catch the bait sometimes. The really small gap on those smaller circles may make you lose some bigger fish, so you might want to give octopus style hooks a try. If you start having an unfavorable gut hooking ratio (more than 1 out of 10), go back to circles.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Hook size / type Reply with quote

Very Happy I don't fish below the dams before late May so don't use the small shad that are the most common bait then. The hot part of summer I only use the larger gizzards that come from the coves below the 2 islands. For those 6 to 8 inch gizzards my best success is on the 3/0 or 4/0 Gamakatsu octopus and I don't care what color they are. These hooks will handle any size fish you will catch below Melton Hill Dam. With a good pair of hook-outs I just don't kill any fish. I have tried the circle hooks and don't like them. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys... I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely get some smaller circles and octopus hooks. I don't know if I'll have any luck catching any octopi but if I do I'll be sure to post pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: