STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temperature vs. Depth Plot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jftvaulter
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Temperature vs. Depth Plot Reply with quote

Alright all you scientists... I have a question I could probably figure out with a little experimentation, but that ya'll might know without me doing so....

Does anyone know how depth relates to temperature in the lake system (TN lake system to be precise)? I know the water near the dam is much cooler than water 30 miles downstream and that surface water is much warmer than deep water.

Here's my specific question(s). When my depth finder reads 85 degrees, what is the temperature 10ft, 20ft, 30ft, 40ft deeper? he two dams and in the summer the water can get close to 90 degrees. Is there a pseudo formula for estimating temperature vs. depth?

Of course surface temp is significantly different in August compared to January, but how much does the temp vary 30ft down in those months. I would assume it wouldn't change too drastically that deep in different seasons.

I'd just like to be able to look at my depth finder when it reads lets say 78 degrees and be able to estimate that at 20 ft it is ____degrees and that at 30 feet it is ____ degrees.

Last edited by Jftvaulter on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: I don't think you can. Reply with quote

I think during the dead of winter the water is pretty much the same temp over the entire water column.

Other times of year the surface is the hottest. Each lake and even each area of a lake is different. Is their cold water flowing in the lake, if so the surface could be 90 and 10ft down it could be 60. The further from the source of cold water the more it will sink.

You would need a temp plot from the TWRA. I think Ezell and the TSBA have that info posted over on the TSBA site. You could always get a temp probe and measure it yourself.
Red over White
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tn provides some of the best info on their lakes to the angler. Here's a link that you might already have http://www.tnfish.org/WaterQualitySampling_TWRA/TWRAtennesseeReservoirWaterQualitySamples.htm

Good question. Pumping water up from the depths in question won't totally answer your question but it may help by atleast getting the temp. reading (w/o the DO reading) and going from there. Sometimes just diving in and taking a swim will tell you a good bit. Like Mike said each lake is vastly different in it's temp. at depth. One here in NC stays stratifed until Dec. or Jan. in one area and the rest of the lake turned over month's before. Narrowing down where the big 'uns live during the summer is a tough challenge. Then you have to decide is it worth catching them when you run the risk of killing them in the process. It's been real hard for me to stay away from one such spot on the Yadkin chain, but I've resisted all summer.
Jftvaulter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to conversations on here I have decided never to pull biggins from over 40 ft. I really had no idea it hurt the fish until I found all the posts somewhere on the site.

I didn't want anyone to think I was needing to know the temperature of deep waters so I could go get 'em deep, rather, I was wanting to determine if the temp would be cool enough in certain areas of 20-35 ft in the dead of the summer so I wouldn't hurt the fish.

There are deep "islands" or "drop-offs" i guess you could call them where the water drops drastically from 40 ft to around 80 ft. If it weren't for this site I would have traveled out there to try to pull some big guys from the deep but I definitely don't want to hurt the fish so I never attempted (but I know they're down there).

I think to help solve the issue, I'm going to try to find a digital themometer with a cord that will extend over 30 ft. There's gotta be something like that I could get on the internet.
Yaz
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little salty, but has a longer cord than the minkota model.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012329014907a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products_liberal&sort=all&QueryText=water+temperature+sensor&_D%3AhasJS=+&Go.y=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jsp%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&N=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0
Jftvaulter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I appreciate the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: