STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first cast net

View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyaf
Fish On

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: My first cast net Reply with quote

Bought my first cast net yesterday, took it to the lake, had no problem finding shad. the big problem was throwing it. This thing whipped my ass in no time. After about 47 tries I finally caught some. Hope it gets better.
I admire you guys who can fling these things, catch fish and not drag everything out of the boat including yourself. Its said a 6' net but when this thing opens up seems to be 14'. Do I need a smaller one or just put in alot of practice in back yard.

Randy
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's 1 or 2 throws and sometimes it's 50 like you got to do. The best thing to do is find the best technique for you and try to make it "pancake" every time to maximize your efforts. A good quality net that opens fully will make life much easier.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brett Wendel
MANGO MAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 6' net should open to 12' open. I cannot throw a 4' net. I think i am netnically challenged.
Mike
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone does this or not, but when you loop the rope in your hand and grab the net little less than halfway down try grabbing the weight in three locations about 1' apart. I started doing this about 2 years ago and it made alot of difference in throwing. The dam weights don't pop you in the finger on a cold morning anymore. That shit hurts like hell! Hope this helps. Practice on some soft grass so you don't hurt your net. You just have to figure what works for you.
Sasquatch
Get the Net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only recently learned how to throw one but this video helped me alot. I stood in front of the computer and practiced loading it until I could remember all the steps. The only thing bad about this method is you have to put the net i your mouth, which can get pretty gross after about 50 shad have slimed it up.

http://www.calusa.com/watchvideo.cfm?name=notrequired
lake and stream
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm mmmm mmm shad slime..gotta love that.

cast nets are not that hard to throw and anyone can do it. just practice.

i can throw one about 4 diff ways now but use the net in mouth style most of the time.if you are going to practice in the yard have a target like some tennis balls or something else you can aim at. this will help you out with getting it all lined up.
fairweatherfisherman
SOUP GURU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Seein stripes main board Reply with quote

There is a whole lot of great info on the seein' stripes site www.seeinstripes.com , including Cast Netting 101. I used the Calusa method for years, but since I learned Shawn's method (as illustrated in Cast Netting 101), that is the only way I throw now. No net in the mouth and you stay dry. You are throwing with one arm, and if you have to throw too many times, it can burn out those big shoulder muscles, so it is a good idea to be able to throw it with another technique, that uses different muscles, as a fall back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: