STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Ideas on bait tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyaf
Fish On

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Need Ideas on bait tank Reply with quote

My boat has a center livewell that is the size of a large cooler, constantly brings in fresh water with an overflow pipe as the drain. I can use it manually or on auto timer. What can I do to modify it alittle bit to use as a bait tank. I really cant afford a bait tank right now but can spend alittle on modifications. I fish by myself most of the time anyway so alot of bait is unnecessary. Its only 10 gallons but right now its all I have.
I wouldn't expect any of my shad to be over 6" in length. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
lake and stream
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple go get a 30 lb oxygen bottle and a regulator. some 3/8 airline and a wooden airstone from the local pet store and you can keep a dozen shad alive in the summer and 2 dozen trout in the winter.

keep nice cool water in it and not to much current and you will be ok.now this doesnt mean you can keep bait alive for a long time in july/august but you will be able to keep "fresh bait" kicking for several hors.10 gallons is a good enough size to keep bait in the 4-6 inch range.
adjust that O2 down to a trickle and you will be in buisness.

O2 - you can get from any local gas distributor or welding supply company,just lease a bottle and the gas is cheap

3/8 airline you can get from lowes or the home depot

the oxygen regulator is available at lowes and HD as well.

the wooden airstones are a few dollars at the pet store

.now if you are looking for a mikemad magnum rainbow shad in the wall hanger size you might need an upgrade. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dirk
River Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Budget Reply with quote

If you are on a tight budget right now and want to spend the least amount possible here are some options:

Option 1 ($54.95 + Shipping)- These are more than sufficient for a 20 gallon or less tank to keep bait for one trip in warm weather or several days in cool weather.
http://keepalive.net/portable.htm

Option 2 ($19.99 at Walmart)- These will keep most baits for several hours in warm weather or up to a couple days in cold weather. The length of the pipe can be cut with a hacksaw to fit the height of your tank if necessary.
http://www.rule-industries.com/products/pumps/livewell_pumps/portable_aerator_kit/iid_307/index.htm

These are of course not the only (or the best) options but these are some of the CHEAPEST ones that may suffice for what you are trying to do. Constantly pulling in water from the lake is not best for most baits. Fill your tank with cool water already salted from the bait store if you are buying bait, or from a well if you have one or a cool creek or river if you have one of them around. Add a handful of Rock Salt and one of the pumps above and you will be alright for a short period of time, longer in the winter. If you want to keep them for a long time(several days) you will have to spend more and get a bigger tank and/or an oxygen system like described above... Rolling Eyes Good Luck. Dirk
randyaf
Fish On

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try the deal from walmart for awhile till I can afford a tank. Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: