STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oconee up the river.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fish bum
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Oconee up the river. Reply with quote

I guess this could be posted on the river forum but this seems right.
I am looking for some new spots to fish with my Jet. I know the Oconee river runs a long way to some kind of dam. have read there is good white bass run with some stripes and hybrs. is it any goor up there?
Any access up the river? Thanks Barry.
BudMan
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Barry what dams are you talking about? Wallace? Sinclair? or further north? I have fished up to wallace damn once in the past yr not a lot to talk about although i know there is good fishing. I just have not spent a whole lotta time up that way. Can you be a bit more specific? Wink
BCFR #508
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is a low head dam a good ways up the river in Watkinsville. Dirk should know, even if he's never been there, he's our river junkie! The striper hybrid white bass run there should be fairly strong, especially with all the current. The river is VERY narrow and winding and can be pretty crowded around the access areas when the fish are biting. It gets VERY VERY muddy at the least little bit of rain.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fish bum
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: low head dam Reply with quote

Ya there is one. I think there is ramps up on the river somewhere but don't know where to find them, Anyone know?
fairweatherfisherman
SOUP GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fish some in the Apalachee River upstream from Lake Oconee and have scouted out access points farther upstream. I used to launch under the 278 bridge. I don't know of any accesss for a boat your size upstream of the 278 bridge. The water is pretty shallow up past the bridge. Seasonally the fishing is very good up there, including the occasional perch.
Marino
Hey, I have Two Posts, Neato
Hey, I have Two Posts, Neato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a ramp off Hwy 15 between Watkinsville and Greensboro.Fish the run every March.It's about 11 miles from the ramp to dam.Lot of whites,crappie,small hybrid.100 fish days are not uncommon. River narrow and shallow.
kjprather
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also access the Oconee River on the very north end of Lake Oconee at Dyars Pasture. It is north of the 278 ramp. Good concrete ramp with dock. When you get there you actually drive thru a pasture but there is a good ramp. It is on National Forest Land. Some good sand bars north of the ramp. Lot of people fish for whites and hybes in the spring on inline spinners. You can run pretty far up river to I believe Barnett shoals. Never been that far north.
fish bum
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Ramps Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any kind of map to these places? Thanks
kjprather
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good Oconee Lake map will show almost up to where Hwy 15 and the river cross. Dyars hunt camp is marked on the map but on mine it does not show that there is a ramp there. There is. You can google map the river north of there. I did and could follow the river all the way up to the dam and barnett shoals just south of Athens. Looks like there could be a ramp there and at Hwy 15 near Greensboro. Good Luck. Smile
fairweatherfisherman
SOUP GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: USGS quad maps Reply with quote

You can get a pretty good level of detail in most areas using yahoo.com mapping. Often the shoals will be visable. For a paper map you can order them here. You can narrow down your areas of interest using the web apps located in the links on this page.

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/ordering_maps.html
Dirk
River Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Oconee Reply with quote

I know there is a ramp just off of Hwy 15 beside where it crosses the Oconee, between Watkinsville and Greensboro. That is only about 6 or 7 miles up what I would consider the river though. Certainly not far enough to be a possible refuge but probably excellent fishing from April-June. That river gets hot and has TERRIBLE water quality in July-September, which is why I have never felt the urge to fish it. For #'s though it might be good before it gets too hot.

Below are a couple pictures of the Oconee a couple summers ago (even the Greenfish couldn't take the water quality... Shocked )

Guthooked
Fish On

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish Bum, if you're looking for big stripes, the upper Oconee is probably not what you are looking for. The white bass run is pretty good in March and April, and some hybrids will show up as well. IMO, you're better off down the lake for the bigger hybrids and stripers.

Hwy 15 or Dyar's Pasture would be your best access points with a jet. As others mentioned, you can run as far upstream as Barnett Shoals Dam near Watkinsville.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Report Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: