STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANNUAL DUES FOR 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: ANNUAL DUES FOR 2010 Reply with quote

Next year promises to be a great year for Striper fishing. Pretty much nothing has changed, but this wetter than normal winter will provide more water for our lakes and rivers and springs. More water is better than a drought. Since it's inception 10 years ago, my little website has grown in size and popularity amongst local, and now non-local anglers.

It makes me proud to be able to house some of the best striper information in the world right here in the pages of Striper Soup.

I'm looking forward to many more years of outstanding fishing reports, good discussion, fascinating stories, overcoming adversity, and meeting new striper fishermen who share the same values as most of us.

This year's Soup Troup Group is certain to be the best one yet and we already have the location nailed down! If we can just work around all these retarded tournaments...

After careful consideration and feedback from some of the senior members, I have decided to levy an annual due of $12.00 to provide funds for competitions, weed out the slackers who aren't contributing, and help buffer the cost, time, and effort it takes to operate the forum.

I would like to have an online payment vehicle, but Paypal is now charging 18% on money transfers. That is flat out high crime. Evil or Very Mad So, the only option is to pay the postal service their MUCH smaller percentage and ask that everybody send a check for $12.00 made out to me.

I will start taking dues now through the end of the year. As long as I have your dues before 2010, there will be no delay in service. I will begin deactivating unpaid accounts after the 1st of January. Upon payment, accounts will be immediately returned to active status.

NEW MEMBERS: dues will be pro-rated based on how many months are left in the year. Count the number of months left in the year, and that is your due in dollars to become an active Soup member.

Mail Dues to:
Shawn McNew: Soup Dues
1897 Poinsetta Dr
Acworth, GA 30102

Feel free to ask questions, or bitch and moan. I think I covered it all here.
Georgia Forestry Commission

Last edited by SeeinStripes on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HANKPMT
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Put mine in the mail a few minutes ago! This is only going to make the Soup BETTER!
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Make a NOTE Reply with quote

Please be sure to include your username somewhere on a note or on the check notes so I know who you are!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BudMan
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: WOOT!! Reply with quote

Ill be sending out the check this week. Like i told you a while back if you need help with the forums moderating, or whatever or nothing at all. Im plenty computer/website savy..... I cant report Oconee or Sinclair at the moment but after the first of the yr it will be on like Donkey Kong. I speak for us all when i say this site has helped us all in some kinda way no matter how long you have been targeting striper. Wink

Thanks Shawn Exclamation
BCFR #508
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: You got it Chef! Reply with quote

Figures I sent out my $15 check for the FYAOSBT today. Now the dang post office is going to get 2 stamps out of me!

www.lowrance.com/en/
www.driftmaster.com
keith shannon
Bait's Gettin' Nervous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dues plus $ for stickers are in the mail.
geeseman
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dues, money for fyaosbt (the tournament) and money for a sticker are in the mail....................
Fisher of Men
Get the Net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dues on the way. Thanks for all you do Smile
Ranger361
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting the check in the mail. I think it's worth the modest fee since I visit your board almost daily and look forward to quality posts. I just hope that I'll catch more fish now that I'm paying for the advice Fishing
Thanks Shawn,
Ken
Screaming Reels
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: I will put a check in the mail Reply with quote

Shawn-

I will put a check in the mail as long if some of the contributions go to strippers at the next event...
gsxraddict
Now What?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a bad idea for several reasons.

You are going to lose a lot of traffic, so much for promoting guide services, planer boards or other things you offer.

It will discourage new members from joining.

There is too much competition to do this, many other fishing boards that people can post information, and its not like too many people on this forum really give away secrets and locations, so what makes it worth the money?

You need to open this site up to advertising, you will make much more without destroying the boards. Im sure stripers247 makes a pretty good amount of money every year, simply by advertising. If you cut out all your traffic, this site will die off eventually.
SKIFFYA
Little Chef
Little Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't think it's always about the money, fortune or even fame...

That's what makes the Soup Brotherhood different from the rest of the world!
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: GSXR Reply with quote

I feel what you're saying. This is the first post to that effect, and I respect your thoughts on this. I feel like it will either bust the Soup, or enhance the elite status of this forum. The quality and quantity of the information here is undeniable. The help from fellow members, the competitions, and the yearly get-together are other unique aspects of the 'Soup. The dues will be used to enhance the forum, competitions, and gatherings, not my fishing arsenal. I understand there will be some attrition due to the "well, other forums are still free" attitude. But the steady fact is that no other forum offers the same benefits.
SKIFFYA
Little Chef
Little Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't like about some of these "other forums" is the fact that ALOT of information has been taken from here for personal gain ($$$), or to help glorify their forum...I think that is a crock. You see, I think alot of people miss the big picture. If you can't thank the Soup, then you can't think its members...who are what makes up the Soup collective!

And what the hell is $12 dollars a year anyway? If someone wants on this site and is not willing to dish out twelve bucks, then it's their loss.
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIFFYA wrote:

And what the hell is $12 dollars a year anyway? If someone wants on this site and is not willing to dish out twelve bucks, then it's their loss.

AMEN BROTHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Its worth it to me, the ones who really want to be on here for the brotherhood and comradery (?) and the occasional stab at Dirk will pay the $12.......I did and hell I don't fish that much but when I do I post and I join in other discussions, the other is mere intertainment you can't find on tv anymore, scew reality tv Im loggin on the soup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dirk
River Junkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Tasty Soup Reply with quote

We all know the quality of the information about all aspects of Striper fishing is far superior on this site than any other. We have all learned a lot from this site and it is well worth a $1 a month. I agree that it may reduce new members who probably won't be willing to pay dues to a site they are not familiar with since they don't know how good this site is. Also (and maybe this is just me, but I don't think so) most people who want to look at a fishing forum actually like to read fishing reports. That is the one weakness I see in this site, the reports section. There are VERY few of us that regularly post fishing reports..... Confused It is always fun to come to the this site and see new reports (preferably with some photos) of a striper fishing trip. We all like to see stripers and read about someones fishing trip, but only a few of us are providing them, while almost all the people on this site are catching some fish... If you are not catching any stripers on your trips, post what you are doing and there is about a 100% chance that someone (or a bunch of people more likely) will help you out. All you guys going fishing and not posting is very aggravating for those of us that do post reports and makes us not want to post, or at least post less. I don't know the solution to this problem, if there is one. The Chef, and several others have tried to get people to post reports, and sometimes it helps a little but not much and not for long.

Perhaps there needs to be some type of incentive for good fishing reports (specific locations and advanced techniques are not necessary for a good report), that provide some info that they might actually help someone improve on their own home waters (conditions, bait type and size, depth of water fished and depth fish caught at, a graph photo and a couple fish photos, and any other info you feel like sharing). There are LOTS of people on here that have gained tons of info and are much better fishermen, but have never even entered a single report??? Now there are a few really good fishermen that don't post reports but provide excellent info and advise, which is fine I guess but it wouldn't hurt you to post a fishing report every now and then. For those that don't contribute at all, YOU SUCK... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"Post or be gone" is my motto, and I fear that with people paying fees some will post even less than they do now or never post at all unless they have a question. I guess we will never know for sure until the Chef tries the fee thing out and we see what happens. Maybe there could be some type of fee waiver for those that do post good reports or other info, and that would let the non-contributors be the ones who pay. That would be the best scenario I think to give people some extra incentive to post and reward those that do.?.?.? If you don't contribute to the Soup with reports or good info, then you should have to help out with $, no doubt about it. I am not sure how that could be accomplished, but that would be the most fair way to handle the fees, as this site does cost money. I am definitely against the advertising idea, especially if it involves pop-ups... Evil or Very Mad
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could pay everybody for posting reports, but that's not how it works. It's give and take. Those who are all take are really missing out on the big picture. Nobody's going to get kicked off now that dues are being paid, but I'll still prod folks for getting out of line etc... Cool

Where else will $1 a month buy you something more useful?

Last edited by SeeinStripes on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Dirk
River Junkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Stuff Reply with quote

I certainly don't think you should pay anyone for reports... I was just throwing out an idea that maybe somehow all could contribute either with money or with posts to make the site better. When I coached soccer I made sure that the parents that assisted in helping the team got in the gate without having to buy a ticket, and I guess I was just thinking about that when I was thinking about this discussion. Just trying to promote "give and take" instead of "take and take" really and like I said above, the site is definitely worth a buck a month.
Ranger361
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth $1 a month, I pay GON and don't get as much useful info as I get here. Where else can you find good advice without having to filter out all of the B...S...? I consider this an "internet club" since I haven't met most of the the guys here but we can still exchange meaty info on a daily basis, maybe more than a lot of "real clubs".
I haven't been on the other sites lately but I just never saw the good stuff that I see here.
'Just my opinion.
Ken.
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Internet club Reply with quote

Very Happy Well I have met a good number of the striper nuts that post here. pm and e-mail conversations are often with lots of the other regulars. I try to share my history, experience, locations and knowledge with the other striper nuts. I keep learning from all the friends I have met here. I don't mind paying for what I get from this forum. Please no pop-up adds. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Get the Net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: My opinion if anyone cares... Reply with quote

Im not thrilled about it, but ill probably end up paying. I would prefer ads if you need to earn money off the site. Every other web site does it and it doesnt bother me.

If this site does become "pay to play" I think new members should get a 10 day trial or something so that people arent immediately turned off by the subscription fee.

I vote ads, it will generate more money anyway.
Jeff Gerrin
Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Dollar a month is fine with me. Its a small fee for the shared info and friendships found on here. The free trial for new members as Squach said is a good idea. I don't think this is about making money for the Chef. I think its about just maintaing a good site.

MAD STRIPER FISHING
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Count me in.. Reply with quote

I'll send you a check soon. Looking forward to another great year and fun at the Soup Troup gathering...

"I've spent 85% of my lifes wages on fishing, the rest I just wasted..."
Shamrock
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great site! I have gained useful information, met some new friends and fished with some great fishermen, all because of Striper Soup. I too share the fear that the $12 fee will reduce membership, especially new members changing the Soup and not for the better. I feel that it is the numbers and diversity of its members what makes Striper Soup what it is. Yes it is worth $12 to me now but had I had to pay $12 in the beginning, NO WAY! It took me a while to get up to speed fishing and posting. I feel that new members should be given a six month pass to have time to become a part of the Soup. I believe that you get what you pay for and Striper Soup is a great value FREE or at the price of $12. Think about what makes Soup good! It is usually a lot of different things simmered together that make it filling and gives it its great taste.
panfish
Now What?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the fear that new membership will slow. I do think you will need to give free trial periods to new members.

I also agree that those that read the soup easily get more than $12 a year worth of information.

It will be interesting to see how this year goes.
Mean Morone
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little hesitant only because my wife will get her hackles up. Laughing 12 bucks is alot of money in my house. A dollar a month is a pretty good deal. As for getting people to post reports, It's hard to get people to post if they don't get to fish in the first place. You guys are truely blessed to have all that good striper fishing so close. I post all my fishing reports. My last one was about fishing for drum if that tells you anything(see my big goo in the other fish section). I get to fish for stripers once a year and two if I'm real lucky. I live in a striper dead zone. No stripers of any good amount around here. I have to drive 4 hrs one way to get to the nearest good striper hole. I do love to read the reports you guys give though. Makes me think there is hope for me to get in on some of that good fishing some day. I came that close to fishing with Tim but then he moved. I still want to get with Ezell on Norris and Cherokee. I still remember reading Shawns reports many many years ago on another site. Man that brings back memories. It's hard to give all that up just because I cant aford 12 bucks! I will have to dip into the smack slush fund. Problem is, there isn't much in there.
Brett Wendel
MANGO MAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mean Morone wrote:
I'm a little hesitant only because my wife will get her hackles up. Laughing 12 bucks is alot of money in my house. A dollar a month is a pretty good deal. As for getting people to post reports, It's hard to get people to post if they don't get to fish in the first place. You guys are truely blessed to have all that good striper fishing so close. I post all my fishing reports. My last one was about fishing for drum if that tells you anything(see my big goo in the other fish section). I get to fish for stripers once a year and two if I'm real lucky. I live in a striper dead zone. No stripers of any good amount around here. I have to drive 4 hrs one way to get to the nearest good striper hole. I do love to read the reports you guys give though. Makes me think there is hope for me to get in on some of that good fishing some day. I came that close to fishing with Tim but then he moved. I still want to get with Ezell on Norris and Cherokee. I still remember reading Shawns reports many many years ago on another site. Man that brings back memories. It's hard to give all that up just because I cant aford 12 bucks! I will have to dip into the smack slush fund. Problem is, there isn't much in there.

Somehow i believe you can come up with the $.03 per day for your soup ration Cool
Team Castaway Baits
Mean Morone
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Brett, you are correct. I will come up with it eventually. The economy is killing me though. My wife just missed losing a job that she has had for 14 yrs. So her job is not safe. I have been trying to get a lure manufacturing business going and this last 6 months has just about ruined us. Because of this we have had to get our priorities straight. You do that when you have a wife and kids. The only way I can justify any extra money going out is to claim it is business related. I do appreciate Shawns help and the help of several of you Soupers. Thanks all.
gsxraddict
Now What?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I also think the fishing reports are good when they are actually posted, but no one gives any secrets away in their fishing reports. No one gives spots, or information we couldn't figure out on our own.

We want to see what other people caught, water temp and conditions, that information is available other places on the net.

I do internet marketing for a living, I've dealt with sites, traffic, advertising on the internet for years.

I am 100% sure this membership dues are going to destroy this website within 16 months. I am positive it will.

I know you will make more money off advertisements then you would with member payments. This would keep your site growing, and as it grows income grows, fishing reports grow, product and services sales grow.
Jerry
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will send you a check for $12. Your site is worth it to me. But I agree with Brent. Based on over 40 years of marketing and marketing research experience I think you are making a BIG mistake. Your decision seems to be in large part based on a small number of "senior" soup members. You got initial feedback from less than a dozen hard core soupers. Of course they are supportive of you and the board. You didn't hear from the majority of board members partly because you are intimidating (which I am sure comes as no surprise) and some may have expected to be flamed for disagreeing or because they weren't strongly committed either way.
I will be surprised if more than 50-75 members pay and maintain their membership while at the same time only a few new members will join. And what will you get?--less than a $1000.

Your site depends on new members to maintain its viability and how many web sites, porn excluded, charge for membership? Would you pay to join a fishing site, especially when you don't know what you will be getting? Even if you give trial memberships the number of new subscribers is likely to be small especially if they are given the ration of shit many new board members get.

Again, you have probably given too much credence to the opinions of a few hard core soupers.

If money is an issue accepting advertising would be a much better way to go.

Don't be another NSBA. Don't get me wrong, I wish you success and want your board to be here for years to come.
WD
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say that i agree with jerry and some of the others. I love this site,learned alot,and met some great people. When i found it i was brand new at striper fishing and wouldn't have paid to join a site. Most people are skeptical of pay sites. If growth is not a concern and you want to have an exclusive club that is great. I will pay simply because i have been here long enough to have benefitted greatly from the people here. I hope this site continues a long time as it would be a shame to lose all this valuable info. With all due respect I believe it is a bad decision, but it is yours to make. Who knows, it may be the best thing. I doubt the reports get any better pay or not. Some post great reports, others don't. If I pay for a site I will certainly not feel obligated to ever post anything. just my opinion.
phi. 4:13,

"slow down, We're in a hurry"

http://www.castawaybaits.com
http://southernchristiansportsmen.com
Ranger361
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea, someone may have posted this already but here goes: Idea
Depending on the number of paying membership, Shawn might consider raffling off a pair of his super-duper waterboards once a year or maybe something that an motivated tackle maker may want to donate for quality advertising ('sounding like a club but on the internet).
This may be enough of a "hook" for some of the members that are having a hard time deciding.
I'm a believer in QUALITY vs. quantity.
I'd like to see this board thrive, 'just throwing ideas out there.
Happy Holidays,
Ken
bankwalker
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One might say that a forum would be created for members of the board that paid a fee for premium access. This would not apply here due to the way information is disseminated and would be redundant. It does cost, time and effort, to provide a site like this, maybe the dues would be for access to the Fish Your Ass Off competition, the monthly picture contests or the year end get-together. To participate you have to be a dues paying member.
Brett Wendel
MANGO MAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Robert and Cla run sites that have limited access areas. Those areas contain tips, reports, etc that are not shared or accessible to the "general" members of the site. I have no idea what technology that takes to make that happen, but that would seem to be the best way to keep the site open to all, yet allow folks to support the site and get a little extra for doing so.
Team Castaway Baits
Shamrock
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Exclusive section for paying members sounds good to me. Keep the Soup growing!!
Mean Morone
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my site there is a section called the Honey Hole. This is reserved for those that are voted on by the members of the Honey Hole. Potential members are nominated by fellow Honey Holers, voted on and if accepted, will be sent an invitation to join. It's like having a site within a site. All info that those members dont want to be made public is shared here. The public doesn't have access to Honey Hole information. Shawn you could do the same thing but charge admission.
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Opposition Reply with quote

Jerry, here's the issue for me. You are making a tongue-in-cheek statement. It's not to say you wouldn't have been successful on your mission to get a big striper and a great fishing outfit eventually, but how many hundreds of $$ and hours did you cut off the learning curve by the help here on the 'Soup? Not just from the reading material here, but also the great people and the willingness to help. I'm not trying to make money, just fund some of the expenses like the Troup Group get-together and some of the competitions. It's going to become an exclusive club and I really don't give a SHIT if the slackers fall by the wayside. If you're intimidated by me then you're a poser, a liar, an exaggerator, or a tell all. Anybody who knows me personally will tell you I'm pretty laid back and let most everything slide. I don't know any other boards where you can really express your thoughts. I've blasted a few folks for saying stupid crap, but 99% of 'Soup members are just fine and dandy.

This site isn't all about the black and white. There are friendships and partnerships built here which are unique to the 'Soup. Nowhere else on the web can you find this much information.

As Brett says, .03 per day is pretty paltry compared to what you gain. If you can find a forum with better guys, better info, and free, go to it.

Again, I'm not in it to make money. Advertising is ok, but that would require programming changes that I don't know how to do.

I think I'll give new members free access for a month to let them decide if they want to make the investment for their own striper-related betterment.

By the way, if you think I'm doing this for money, I'm not. Did I mention that?

People pay psychologists lots of money to tell em stuff that any bartender could. Why? Seems sometimes the more you pay, the better you think you're getting. Maybe it's not so with the internet, but if you don't want to be a member of the 'Soup anymore, don't pay your dues.

I've gotten quite a few dues payments thus far. Thanks to those of you who truly want to make the 'Soup better!
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: My 2 Cents Reply with quote

I CANNOT place a value on the information learned & friends made here on the Soup. I also learned a TON and make many friends fishing the NSBA trail. At 12 bucks a year the SOUP is a HELL OF LOT cheaper then fishing the trail was. I see the value HERE.

I don't post as much as I used too, especially how too stuff - cause most all of it's been covered at least once & I have been fairly busy with work lately. As it's been said before use the search feature!

If the yearly membership fee keeps some people out - that's fine - there are other sites for them join. There is enough info here to raise ANY striper fisherman's game up MANY levels. I know first hand, as it DID FOR ME.

I don't think that the number of members should be the metric to measure the success of the site. I think that the quality of the info should and by my measure it's already a success.

I surely do NOT want to see it wither and die and I don't think the yearly memberhsip fee will cause it to do so. I like it being close knit.

Even if NO additional information or posts were added too it, I would pay my $12 a year to have access to what is already here.

www.lowrance.com/en/
www.driftmaster.com
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Opposition Reply with quote

SeeinStripes wrote:
Jerry, here's the issue for me. You are making a tongue-in-cheek statement. It's not to say you wouldn't have been successful on your mission to get a big striper and a great fishing outfit eventually, but how many hundreds of $$ and hours did you cut off the learning curve by the help here on the 'Soup? Not just from the reading material here, but also the great people and the willingness to help. I'm not trying to make money, just fund some of the expenses like the Troup Group get-together and some of the competitions. It's going to become an exclusive club and I really don't give a SHIT if the slackers fall by the wayside. If you're intimidated by me then you're a poser, a liar, an exaggerator, or a tell all. Anybody who knows me personally will tell you I'm pretty laid back and let most everything slide. I don't know any other boards where you can really express your thoughts. I've blasted a few folks for saying stupid crap, but 99% of 'Soup members are just fine and dandy.

This site isn't all about the black and white. There are friendships and partnerships built here which are unique to the 'Soup. Nowhere else on the web can you find this much information.

As Brett says, .03 per day is pretty paltry compared to what you gain. If you can find a forum with better guys, better info, and free, go to it.

Again, I'm not in it to make money. Advertising is ok, but that would require programming changes that I don't know how to do.

I think I'll give new members free access for a month to let them decide if they want to make the investment for their own striper-related betterment.

By the way, if you think I'm doing this for money, I'm not. Did I mention that?

People pay psychologists lots of money to tell em stuff that any bartender could. Why? Seems sometimes the more you pay, the better you think you're getting. Maybe it's not so with the internet, but if you don't want to be a member of the 'Soup anymore, don't pay your dues.

I've gotten quite a few dues payments thus far. Thanks to those of you who truly want to make the 'Soup better!

Shawn,
I hope you didn't misinterpret my post and I hope you don't think my comments were made to avoid paying a measly $12? Offering suggestions doesn't mean someone doesn't "truly want to make the 'Soup better?'" As I said, I want to see the Soup thrive. Like many others it's the first place I go when I crank up my computer in the morning. I agree with almost everything you said! My thoughts were only expressed to help you make your best decision. (Already, based on member feedback you are going to allow a trial membership).

Personally, I have gotten more out of this board than most. I have made some great friends, caught my biggest fish, upgraded my equipment, and enjoyed both soup troups. (And got my Lowrance to work better.) Very Happy

And you ARE intimitating to a lot of folks Laughing Laughing Laughing Please tell me your negative comments were't aimed at me. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But what the Hell, maybe that's what helps makes this board unique. I've already said I will send in my $12.

Love,
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Mean Morone
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shawn, will you take lures instead? I know a guy who makes them. Very Happy Maybe we can sweetin the pot so to speak for those that pay.
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Gerry! Reply with quote

Are you sitting by the fireplace sippin whiskey again??!?! That's when you seem to get all lovey dovey! Very Happy Very Happy

www.lowrance.com/en/
www.driftmaster.com
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, Mikey,
And you thought I signed love just for you. I am sitting by the fire place. Maybe I'll sip a little this evening.
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I love all you guys. But not in a faggy way. I don't think of the 'Soup as "MY FORUM." I think of it as a place where serious striper anglers go to share higher-end information and make lasting friendships. I just built it and with Skiffy's help, maintain order. You guys do all the hard stuff.

I think we'll be around for more than 16 months. Anybody else feel like that?
luvstripers
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Been nice! Reply with quote

I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts at various lakes by everyone. It gives me something to look forward to for when I DO get the opportunity to get out on the water. Catching a striper gives you this rush of adrenline that no one can explain. (18lbr from Clarks Hill a few years ago was my best! Laughing )
I am a single parent of two teenagers and a young grandmother that doesn't own a boat. I have a couple of guys that take me out fishing when they can but getting everyone's schedules to work out doesn't happen very often. So that is MY reason for not posting reports...and with me learning, I do not have any secret techniques.

Here is my opinion (although it means nothing) as to how this will effect the future of the site. Most have already been covered and there is no reason to mention the obvious again. Although I do believe having an elite CLUB will hurt eventually...It seems to me that it is becoming a "we are too good for you" type of site. You say it isn't about the money...so don't charge. You had the "sound off" last year. If someone is inactive for a certain time period, delete the account...or better yet, make it known when someone creates an account that participation (even if it is ONLY replying to someone elses post) is mandatory. Hell, to make money, you can add a small "upcharge" to T-shirts, hats, and soup stickers. I just ordered two hats recently for Christmas gifts and would have paid an extra buck each...there is your money.

I hate that I will be booted for $12 in dues but in this day and time, that is tough. It has been great reading but I will now bow out as one of the silent ones...you will have one less "LURKER" as you guys put it.

Like I stated, it has been FUN! Take care and keep reeling them in!
fairweatherfisherman
SOUP GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeinStripes wrote:

I'm sure of it!!

Having been really poor when Marie and I were getting started, I do understand that for some, $12 might be tough right now. Any active participant who is short right now but who wants to stay a part of the Soup, PM me, and I'll spot you the $12 until things pick up for you.

I'm finally all recovered and will be back to fishing and posting reports next week. I can't wait!!
FirstBite
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeinStripes wrote:
Alright, I love all you guys. But not in a faggy way. I don't think of the 'Soup as "MY FORUM." I think of it as a place where serious striper anglers go to share higher-end information and make lasting friendships. I just built it and with Skiffy's help, maintain order. You guys do all the hard stuff.

Shawn, The soup is by far the best striper site there is on the Internet. Sites like Clay's and mined are nothing more then and extension of our guide services. Heck we aren't even members of each other sites just because of the respect we have for each others businesses and clients.
I probably shouldn't be invading your site do to it is also a extension of your guide service. But it is hard for me to stay away. Even thought I enjoy and love my site and members it isn't the soup. This is a place I can talk to and learn from my piers. And even do a little reminiscing with old friends from the NSBA. And also made some new friends like yourself. It seems like it was just yesterday when I fished with you and your uncles ( BTW you still owe me a trip ) but it has been three years now since our trip. There has been alot of texting, Phone calls and even a little head butting between you and I since then. But I for one consider you a friend and if it wasn't for the soup I would be short at least one friend right now.

And if $12.00 is the only thing that is standing in my way of being apart of this site for another year then my check WILL be in the mail tomorrow, Thanks again for letting me be apart of the soup.

And to answer your question YES I think the soup will be around for more then 16 months. Heck it will probably be around after I am long gone......

Merry Christmas and Happy New years to all soup members and their familys.....

Robert Eidson
HANKPMT
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, It WILL be here 16 mos from now! I have met alot of fine people who have helped me in a number of ways and I hope that I have helped others also. If you really slow down and wade into the info that is in the Soup,such as "Bait Tanks",where else can you get that indepth know how??? Basspro?Cabela's?GON? I don't think so.It is worth $1.00 a month to me to stay in contact with the friends that I have made and to go back to refresh my memory on stuff.What about all the home bait tanks that everyone has put together? What works,what does'nt.I promise that everyone has used or tried fellow Soupers ideas for their home tanks and they got their info from here!
This is a GOOD deal!! There are some good folks in this "Family" and Mike(FwF) is just one example.I could name off a TON of names,but I would forget someone. Laughing Embarassed
I forget what my point is....I'm done.
I'm staying and I hope everyone else does too.
Well done Shawn and Skiffy Applause
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Support the Soup Reply with quote

Very Happy If I am not here 2 years from now it will likely be because of my personal misfortune in health or something, or maybe Shawn or Eric tellling me to get lost. There are to many on the soup that I have not met YET. I also feel like Mike W. (fairweatherfishermen) if you want to stay on the soup and feel the $12. is more than you can manage and continue to fish please just send me a p.m. I may not agree with Shawn on all the details he feels is the best for our striper soup fourm. I have talked to him and believe he will come up with the right foumula so I support it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect to be here in 16 months. Heck, I wish I had learned about the soup sooner if only because I would have saved hundreds of dollars by just buying the right equipment in the first place. So $12.00 is a no-brainer if you are serious about striper fishing and learning. I learned quickly that this in not really the place for casual striper fishermen/women.

I can see where some members feel that senior members are an exclusive club and maybe it is but I have come to the conclusion that you have to put in the time and effort to reap the rewards and respect.

I'm in agreement that it will be a challange to find a way to get new members on the site before they will pay for all this information.

Thank Shawn and Eric.
DBryant
Movin' on Up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: annual dues Reply with quote

Shawn I am one of the persons on this site who set back and don"t say much, but I really enjoy reading the info posted here. I have learned a lot of valuable information. I had the best teacher (Ezell) there is for striper fishing but I still learn new things here regularly. I will gladly send my dues and please don't get upset if I don"t post much. I have been ill for about 18 months and still don"t breath very well but I am going fishing today by myself for the first time since May 2008. Would like to attend the soup get together next year if I'm invited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: