STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boone Lake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarlyRiser
5 Can-Dos
5 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Boone Lake Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some information on Boone Lake stripers? I live in Virginia and would like to try Boone this coming spring as it's within a few hours drive of me. Any bait tips, tactics, locations to look, etc. would be greatly appreciated?
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

Check my list of striper lakes...I've only fished Boone 1x and didn't catch any. It was the only time I fished with Warren T. haha! Ask Tim Adrien, he's the man. Check the reports, I think there's one more guy reporting on Boone.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DieHard
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lake and it was getting better before I left. Spring hybrid fishing is excellent. Late summer into fall for stripers. Stripers tend to move around a lot so someone who fishes it frequently would be a good source of info. Threadfins and alewives for hybrids. Alewives and trout for stripers. Big gizzards work well upstream in the spring. Right now, look for the birds and use small bait. The fish should be anywhere from Candy Creek to Davis Dock on the Holston side. If there are birds anywhere near Muddy Creek check that area thouroughly especially if the birds are focused near the bank. Look in and around Long Hollow for bait - they will likely be 20 - 40 feet deep. Dock lights right before daylight may save your day.

If you have a specific time of year in mind or have any questions send me a private message.

If you are interested in giant brown trout, I suspect a striper fisherman will break the state record in the near future as numerous 20lb class browns were caught last year.

www.monsterstripes.com
EarlyRiser
5 Can-Dos
5 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Diehard. I appreciate it. We might hire a guide the first time we head down there to get a feel for the lake. We're just looking for something different since we fish Smith Mountain so much. I've never caught a hybird either (never even fished a hybird lake) so that would be a bonus! I may shoot you a PM closer to when we may head down. Thanks.
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Boone Lake Reply with quote

Very Happy I have fished it with some great friends over the years. DieHard knows most of the names that I do. I do have phone numbers if he doesn't. They have a pretty good little club there Razz after they run DieHard off to Ga. Laughing Very Happy Very Happy
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get ready let us know and we can point you in the right direction. April and May are the best hybrid months. Bait might be harder to find than the fish as the hybrids are fairly easy to find if you know where to look. There is one guide that I would recommend and Ezell would give a second thumbs up.

Since you have never fished for hybrids, I would highly recommend you give it a go at least once.

www.monsterstripes.com
EarlyRiser
5 Can-Dos
5 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it and will definitely holler when we are heading down. It will probably be closer to March. If there's one thing I learned in my short time on here, it's that DieHard and Ezell know what they're talking about and have caught the fish to back it up, so I appreciate the offers of help to a relatively inexperienced striper fishermen in comparison.

If you're ever up around Smith Mountain, give me a shout and I'll try to help ya out best I can. We don't have the 40s and 50s (at least not yet) you guys are used to, but still some good striper fishing. Leesville, right below Smith Mountain, is a tough lake but does have a few pigs left. Although, they have some people down there that have evidently never heard of releasing a fish so might not be any for long. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Report Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: