STRIPER SOUP Forum Index STRIPER SOUP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One Thousand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: One Thousand Reply with quote

The Soup has now had 1,000 members sign up! That's a GREAT milestone and to show my appreciation, I am going to begin a new era in helping those in need. Just like our 'great' president, I am going to introduce a stimulus package to those who will accept it. My goal is for every Striper Soup member to have caught a 30+ lb striper before they die. This is NOT an easy feat because some of you don't know how, some of you don't care to (I'll never get that), and some may be too lazy to do what it takes. This is going to be a group effort on the part of the more experienced fishermen on the board, but I think it can be done. Do we have any seconds on this idea? We will have to brainstorm how to do it, but I think ride-alongs and specific information for those who want it will do the trick. There's lots of 30 lb fish out there, you just have to fish the right way at the right time to get 'em!

Thanks to all the members for making this the BEST striper discussion forum in the world.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jimmybee
Fish On

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great goal! If I catch a 30 lb fish out of Buggs I probaly would die! Maybe you should offer the 1000th signer upper a free guided trip. What number was I by the way?
This is a great site, I've learned quite a bit in the last 2 weeks, hope to learn more and share any tidbits I have.
DieHard
DAM I'M GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not really fully addicted until you get one over 30! When a fish rises up beside the boat and you say, "HOLY SHHHHHCRAP!", then your hooked for good. I have passed on my addiction and hope to continue passing on the disease.

www.monsterstripes.com
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Sounds like a worthy goal to me. Reply with quote

AFTER the person is properly vetted to ensure the fisheries safety. As most of you know I often travel out of town to catch big fish and often have seats available in the big old BARGE. So you can count me on helping out. We just need a way to make sure the people we help are the right kind of people.

www.lowrance.com/en/
www.driftmaster.com
mwardncsu
Can-Do Patrol
Can-Do Patrol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one that is very much still a newbie, I'm all in Smile I thought I might have to go west to KY, TN to have a good chance to get one that size, but a friend up at Smith Mountain Lake, VA had a guy on his boat land a 30 lb, 40" fish on Sunday night..... we're all hoping SML is starting to return to the days of bigger fish......
EarlyRiser
5 Can-Dos
5 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!

I'm gonna pull a 30+lber out of Smith Mountain if it's the last thing I do! I had one on a week or two ago and it got the better of me. I was too young during the glory days to get one, but the big fish are starting to show back up now. The next five years could be fun if people respect the fish and put 'em back.
ecox
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: 1000 soup rewards Reply with quote

Very Happy I like Shawn's idea of helping the CONSERVATION minded soup members to a trophy personal best striper. I am a conservation minded fisherman that kills a few fish (less than 15 pounds) all along from stockings that won't grow large stripers anyway. However I am quite closed mouth on times, how, and locations where the big girls could be caught. Tennessee has some great opportunity for 30+ fish but they can be caught in many fresh waters where the conditions are right. To grow big stripers the system must have suitable refuge of water temperature with good oxygen all year. Plenty of baitfish (skipjack water preferred), low catch / harvest rates and maybe even hard to access area. If it is easy everyone would do it and then there would be no big fish soon where it is easy. There is one other caution about trophy hunting; There are many low catch and SKUNK trips even with a good guide. arrow I am very glad to be one of the 1000 Soup members Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
1 Can-Do
1 Can-Do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Proof is in the pudding (or the soup) Reply with quote

Glad to be one of the 1000+ members. And let me just say that this site is directly responsible for me breaking the 30# mark... I broke 30# for the first time as a direct result of the first Soup Troop Trip to big D's place a few years back... This website along with many hours reading, studying maps, and developing friendships is the best resource around and its full of some of the best people around. Thanks to everyone and look forward to helping someone else feel the itch
JohnMan
I Got Him Now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Where else but the Soup! Reply with quote

I am not exactly a newbie since I have been targeting Stripes for 6 or 7 years now. But my personnel best is still in the low 20's so I can use all the help I can get. Where else but the soup would this kind of offer even come from? That is a pretty big goal you threw out there Shawn.

I found and joined the soup a couple of years ago and have since joined a striper club on Lanier (NGSC a top notch club with top notch members). My goal all along has been to get a 30+ so Shawn you are talking right up my alley.

I am a little bit worried about Diehard's statement about not being fully addicted until you pull-in a +30. Based on the time I am already putting in on the water and the money I am already spending on fishing if I am not already fully addicted, then I am not sure I can afford to catch a +30. Surprised
Nothin but Fish
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Sounds like a great goal for sure!!! Reply with quote

I agree this is a great goal Idea ...I also agree with Mike and Ezell on the conservation aspect and protecting the fish. And to the point of "cost' to catch a bigun....while a "lucky accident" can happen knowing when, how, with what will most absolutely up the percentages Wink

Salt water is a little easier than fresh and no big secrets there like fresh. Thanks for the Soup!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

www.nothinbutfish.com
mcvet03
Why Am I Addicted to This Board?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been fishing since the time I could stand up..got pictures of me in a diaper standing in the river catching smallies and trout! But I must say I have never been so excited and anxious to really get into a "new" type of fishing as I have been with striper fishing!!!!
I cannot say how thankful I am to have found this site and how appreciative I am of getting to email and talk to some of you so far. I can say hands down that this is one of the BEST group of friends and fisherman that I have ever observed.
I am still such a newb to striper fishing and haven't even caught one over 15lbs yet, BUT.....I just got my FIRST boat last weekend, got my FIRST bait tank and am going in the next day or two to get something to use for a home bait tank! I am ready to start the adventure!

I hope to meet more of you in the future and I fully agree with everyone that spoke about the conservation point! If we don't help'm survive, there won't be any for our kids and grand kids!
Yaz
Super Senior Soup Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Shawn.....and to all the Soup members. That really says something about the site, and the people affiliated with it!!

I want to catch a 30 out of my home waters also. It'll happen if I can get these butt plugs to listen, and put some freeking bigger fish back once in a while. But here, my preaching is like singing at the Opry, with nobody there to listen!! Rolling Eyes In Indiana, mid to high 20's fish are still a novelty to most, and everybody wants one, so they think they have to kill it.
LittleMiamiJeff
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: I'm the right kind of person..... Reply with quote

I care, I'm not lazy, but the "know-how" is head knowledge that doesn't get much opportunity to be on fish that big very often.

Tim, I know all about addiction, and I'm jones'n, can't keep from getting sick when all I've got is wipers.

My "fun-money" is pushing $300, so I'm getting ripe, some of you guys with empty seats (Shaun, you still got June dates open?) Mike, Tim (hint, hint) let me know when your ??? Knoxville to Nashville somewhere and I'll put everything else on hold and maybe I can get an new avatar like that lucky son of a gun at the Soup Troup. Shocked
LMJ
RockyS
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: What a great Idea Reply with quote

I'm game if anyone around ga has an extra seat. I need to get off of Sinclair so I at least one in the teens. I itching to be on the water as much possible as I'm having knee surgery June 3.
Jimmybee
Fish On

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: goal of 30 Reply with quote

30s aren't too hard to get about 3 hours east of me (a lot of our club menbers score them on a regular basis) but getting one out of Buggs(aka Kerr) would stop the presses. Fishing pressure, gill maggots, and other environmental factors have made teens and 20s pretty rare. I still remember seeing some black and whites of my Dad with a 32 and a 35 along with a 9 pound walleye caught on a Rebel plug all on the same day, same spot on the Dan river. Hopefully they will return some day. Supplemental stocking, seasonal regulations, and concerned stewards should help.
srmz
Holding My Own

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very proud to be a member of the 1000 club. I used to fish for bass only when a few years back I was throwing crankbaits while a buddy in the back of the boat was freelining gizzards. I saw him boat two 20+ pound stripes and I put the crank baits away and started fishing live bait. I since have caught many 20+ pound stripes, and have never looked back. It all has been credited to the knowledge that I have gathered from the soup and its members. I don't have the best tackle or barge out there, but as the old saying goes, I make due with what I got. Being as you can not buy shad and herrings here on the Big LC, I have learned to throw a cast net and catch my own bait. I have learned the tips and tricks to keeping them happy in my tank. I can not say enough about how great this striper board is. It has the most knowledge in the world, and the most knowledgable fishermen that are the most helpful any many ways. I look forward to attending the Troup Group next year and finally meeting just a few of the 1000 members that make this greatest soup in the world. Hats Off to the Chef for being such a great guy and creating this wonderful soup!
GWIG
Castin' Back Out

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also happy to be one of the 1000. I get a few above 30 each year from the susquhanna river which flows into the bay. They are tidal fish and we get some good ones. they will be gone soon on their trek up the coast and then back to reality. The local sm. lakes with stripers to 25 tops and wipers to 10 . Without this site i would still be scratching my head trying to figure out how to do stuff i am now catching fish with.. Thanx to everyone on here for making this the best site out there for striper fishing.
Mikemad
Capt. Damn IT
Capt. Damn IT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: LMJ Reply with quote

Your right! You are the right kind of guy and I owe you a barge ride, since we had to cancel the last one. Check your PM. Time to start doing instead of talking!

www.lowrance.com/en/
www.driftmaster.com
EarlyRiser
5 Can-Dos
5 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: goal of 30 Reply with quote

Jimmybee wrote:
30s aren't too hard to get about 3 hours east of me (a lot of our club menbers score them on a regular basis) but getting one out of Buggs(aka Kerr) would stop the presses.

Yeah, but it just feels like cheating in the bay, doesn't it? It's almost too easy...I enjoy the challenge. It might take me 10 years to pull one of out of Smith Mtn, but Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm gonna do it. I wouldn't mind pulling a few pigs out of the bay along the way though! Very Happy

I'm not sure what the deal with Kerr is, but I don't think the copepods are the main problem there. We've got stripers plum full of them here and they do just fine. The reason we had the fish kill was because we had a major bait shortage after a cold winter, which in addition to the copepods created a great deal of stress for the bigger fish. Plus we had a major flood I think which may have also impacted oxygen levels, etc...just too much stress. All that in combination basically wiped out anything over 10lbs.
LittleMiamiJeff
MASSIVE MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: LMJ Reply with quote

Mikemad wrote:
Your right! You are the right kind of guy and I owe you a barge ride, since we had to cancel the last one. Check your PM. Time to start doing instead of talking!

Mike, You're the Man! Wink
I do my own "talking" and I'm fed up with myself as well, I just need the opportunity to "pull the trigger", Tim has offered a ride before and I chickened out, or at least the $ and time off and away from home wasn't just perfect.
PLEASE, give me a little lead time and I'll meet you THERE! I'll check PM from here.
THANKS, how do I say it BIG enough! LOL
LMJ
kjprather
2 Can-Dos
2 Can-Dos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proud to be one of a thousand. Have not gotten one over 30 myself yet but have in my boat. Can not express how fast the learning curve has gone for me because of the Soup. Couple of years ago didn't even know what MSCOD was and now I am fully infected! Thanks everyone.
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks Shawn Reply with quote

I'm very proud to be a member of "The Soup"! When I joined I was member #23 and it has grown like kudsu. I owe everyone on here a BIG THANKS because I have learned a little of something about everything from everyone. Confused Laughing But the most important thing that I have learned is conserving these remarkable fish. It might be crazy on my part and it really limits me, but I pull the plug on my striper fishing when the water temps reach the 70 degree mark, I feel that these fish have a tough enough time just surviving day to day without me adding to it, but, thats just me! Wink My P.B is a 29 lb Bartletts Ferry fish and luckily by that time I was in my conservation way of thinking thanks to Shawn and others or that fish "might" have been on the wall. Crying or Very sad This does not quaify me as a big fish catcher, I got lucky. I still need pointers and suggestions on where to go, equipment etc and will share a seat in my boat.(when its done)
I agree with Ezell and MikeMad,the teachers will need to be REAL cautiously choosey on who and where,even at the risk of stepping on toes.
I'm done Laughing
panfish
Now What?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big milestone. Congrats Shawn!!!
PSBA ADAM
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWIG wrote:
I am also happy to be one of the 1000. I get a few above 30 each year from the susquhanna river which flows into the bay. They are tidal fish and we get some good ones. they will be gone soon on their trek up the coast and then back to reality. The local sm. lakes with stripers to 25 tops and wipers to 10 . Without this site i would still be scratching my head trying to figure out how to do stuff i am now catching fish with.. Thanx to everyone on here for making this the best site out there for striper fishing.

Perhaps I will have to come to the Susquhanna, every fish I do the work to catch on my boat that is around or over 30lb, seems like someone other than the captain reels it in! perhaps I am too nice since I let my guests reel the first fish in. My tournament partner George reeled one in on his boat last week just over 35, I was also aboard and would have felt ashamed If I would have reeled in his biggest fish ever on his boat. Our last tournament yielded 2 fish near 30 so am confident this year is my year for a 30-40. I know of 3-4 fish caught last year here at Raystown in the 50lb range. Hopefully this will be my year since I have been using Monster Striper sized shad. As said on the video "pull them baits BIG BAITS=big fish". I cant say how big because here in PA it is illegal to use shad over 8 inches in length.

THE PENNSYLVANIA STRIPED BASS ASSN

http://www.fishpsba.com
SKIFFYA
Little Chef
Little Chef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an INCREDIBLE Milestone. I am proud to say I am a Soup member, and stand beside my fellow bretheren!

I think that is an awesome goal, Chef! I also KNOW the info to catch the big girls is through out this library of striper fishing. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy A little luck always helps, too! Laughing
NO We don't Use a Net

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being one of a thousand is great! I have met less than a hundred of the 1000 and only fished with a dozen or so of the 1000. I just realized that I tend to fish over and over with a few friends and that I need to make an effort to fish with other members too. Every time I fish with some one new I pick up something of value plus I make a new friend!!
Reality_Bites
Well Get the Boga Grip

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: 1000 strong! Reply with quote

Congratz on the milestone! I look forward to many more hours of Soup time.

"I've spent 85% of my lifes wages on fishing, the rest I just wasted..."
Mickeynew
Movin' on Up

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Number 6 Reply with quote

Even though I was only number 6 to join the Soup, I was in the room when the Chef was born. He was my birthday present. Smile
R61 Ranger
Holding My Own

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very proud and honored to be one of 1000. Thanks to this forum for information I now have a new addiction and today spotted a boat close by me that I think would make a nice 'striper ride'. My thanks to the Chef for putting me on a 26pdr at Watts Bar a short time ago, this fish is my personal best.

THE PENNSYLVANIA STRIPED BASS ASSN
http://www.fishpsba.com
Scutertrash
1 Can-Do
1 Can-Do

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props to everyone hear.

What I completely dig about this group is the ability for the experienced guys to openly share info with us newer guys and support us in becoming better striper anglers/conservationists. Nothing comes without hard work and sacrifice, but we really appreciate the guidance that some of you afford us.
I've only been striper fishing for less than a year, but already have many hours on the water, and plenty of skunks on my board. When luck finally did strike, you cant believe the sh#@ I took for turning back my first 20+.

I support the efforts here to protect the fishery and grow better trophy fish and YES, count me in!!
SeeinStripes
Striper Soup Chef
Striper Soup Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuter, go through the proper channels for the NSLB if you want in. I will be emailing participants when the opportunity is available to catch a 30# fish. No guarantees, but we won't rest until a good un' is had.
Georgia Forestry Commission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
geeseman
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally awsome! That is what I have always loved about this board. Lots of comrodery (sp?). I started lineside fishing about 4 years ago on Allatoona in a jon boat with a tiller steer 25 johanson. Didnt have a clue what I was doing. Made friends with guides and other lineside fishermen and then found this wealth of knowledge. It was like a light turned on and the clouds parted.

I have since went through three boats, battled with bait issues, learned how get myself stuck on top of rocks and sit there spinning around like a top, bought gear that I didnt need, spent countless hours on the internet searching for the golden answer and now finaly began catching what I was really after.

I owe it all to the guys on here and the past post and long hours of reading and studying.

I have made it a point to keep my fish alive and send them back to grow. I can honestly say I have never ate one and don't have the want to. I just want to catchem and let em go till another day and few pounds heavier.

I have brought my seven year old into this madness and had trips with him that I bet none of his class mates can top. He loves it! All aspects of it from getting up in the wee hours of the morning to go get bait to sitting in the blistering sun hoping for one of the rods to go screaming. We have sat here and watched the Monster Stripe vids over and over trying to learn more and even talked about one day taking a trip to TN to land a monster fish.

His PB right stands at 10lbs and mine is at 22lbs. Both of us long for the day to bust the 30 or even 40 mark. Just once would be something for both us to remember and talk about for years to come.

THis is an awsome idea Shawn. Like you said it takes a lot of time and effort but for some with full time jobs and raising kids its hard. Most of our trips are run and go. We're either heros or zeros for the day. But its fun to just get out there and enjoy the sights and time together.

I chime in when I can but with limit time and know how, Im down to posting a report every now and then when we make it out. Im still reading and learning, A LOT! And you cant forget the jokes and crazy vids. This site has it all. Thank you Shawn for keeping this going and keeping it real. This place is top notch compared to some I have been on. No griping and grumbling here!

Thanks again!
geeseman
What a MONSTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a t=shirt in the making. "3000lbs in 2010" "Soup Troup Stimulous Package"

Just a thought Razz
StackNStripes
Fish On

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the newest members of striper soup, (#1035).
Congrats to Shawn for the success of the forum. I am a big fan of the forum and the videos.
I have been visiting the forum for quite a while. I figured it was finally time to take a moment and join.
Y'all are awesome.
Congrats to Diehard. He has taken the place of my childhood hero, Doug Hannon.
I guess Shawn can be my Hank Parker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    STRIPER SOUP Forum Index -> Striper Soup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: